Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: scared to start solids because of literature!

Default Re: scared to start solids because of literature!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*microgirl View Post
    Neither DF or I have any food allergies, only outdoor/seasonal types.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post
    There is literature to indicate that any allergy gives a propensity for baby to be allergic... the type of allergy matters not (I'll see if I cn find a link to the article/s)

The TENDENCY to have allergies is inherited - not the specific allergy.

ANY family history of ANY allergies means that the LO *could* have food allergies.

Me: allergic to cats, used to have bad environmental allergies as a kid (did allergy shots for years), no known food allergies

DS: multiple food allergies, so far tests negative to environmental allergies

I'm really not trying to scare you! I thought that no family history of FOOD allergies meant we didn't need to worry for DS. I didn't learn about the role of ANY allergy until after DS was diagnosed with food allergies.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

BLS is awesome!! And there is no reason to not wait another month! If you want now you could give your lO a soft spoon and suction a bowl to the table or the high chair tray so she can play and get used to having them in her hands.

For BLS yes, they feed themselves, and you use whole foods not purees. Some good things to start with are banana, avocado, soft sweet potatoes. FOr us we cut them into french fry sized sticks about the size of steak fries and let him have at it. It was messy and fun but that's exactly what beginning solids are supposed to be!

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*meganbeth View Post
    BLS is awesome!!... If you want now you could give your lO a soft spoon and suction a bowl to the table or the high chair tray so she can play and get used to having them in her hands.
    Giving your LO something to play with and maneuver into her mouth while you eat may help her practice the skills she needs to self-feed without the need to introduce actual solids.

If you do decide to start solids now, I don't think you need to be too concerned that early introduction of solids will cause a food allergy: there have been a fair number of studies suggesting that delaying solids until 4 months has a protective effect against allergies, but that after 4 months the protective effect is absent or minimal. IMHO, replacing breastmilk (the perfect food) with solids (imperfect) is the greater risk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks ladies! this has been a lot of "food for thought" hahahahaha

I give her a soft spoon now, and she totally puts the correct end into her mouth and closes her lips around it. I'll have to seach for a suction bowl, the one I give her now isn't and she totally throws it everywhere.

I really appreciate all your input. I will wait until her 6 months before I start.

Another great thing about BLS is that you can skip the (throwable) bowl, and just put a couple of pieces of whatever you're feeding your LO on her tray instead. I'd rather pick up zucchini sticks than zucchini puree off the floor any day!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

HI there -

I just wanted to add my 2 cents!

My daughter breastfed until she was 15 months. She weaned herself. But she started getting very interested in food at 7 months. It was actually kind of funny. As I would lift the fork to my mouth she would follow the fork with her eyes with her mouth open, thinking it was going for her. I didn't know at the time my sneaky husband was giving her tiny tidbits of his food. I never stopped breastfeeding at all. However I also allowed her to taste little things. She still preferred my milk 98% of the time, but she enjoyed those little tidbits too. So she got the best of both worlds.

I also would read literature "with a grain of salt" as the mother instinct is much more reliable, more wise, and more solidly based. Your gut knows best.

~Peggie

P.S. My "doctor" (ugh, felt pressured to take my daughter to him for a 9 month checkup) informed me my daughters iron was low and put her on liquid iron. He wanted to see her in 1 month. So in order to disguise the taste I put it in a mixture of sweet potatoes, oatmeal and applesauce. I was so bothered by what I was doing that I went online and researched iron-rich foods and put some more of them in her diet, as well as the breastfeeding and STOPPED the liquid iron. I took her back, and without telling the doctor that she only took the liquid for a couple of days, he checked her and said "Wow! Her levels are great!" I did a "hehehe" all the way to the car. Moms always know better.
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Ask me about BELLY BUTTON RINGS to use during your pregnancy to protect your PIERCING!

~~~~~~~~~~

Married to an amazing man and friend, Anthony - 4/10/04

Mother to Adria - a home-birthed , breastfed, hazel-eyed smoocher! 12/21/05

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*imagatto2 View Post
    I did a "hehehe" all the way to the car. Moms always know better.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png