Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scared to start solids because of literature!

Default scared to start solids because of literature!

my LO is 5 months old (today!). She shows all the signs of being ready to eat solids (holds head, sits well supported, very interested in food, she's starting to crawl and related or not, wakes up 4-6x per night to eat <<saying that, the feedings aren't long and sometimes I think she latches and sucks just to go back to sleep>>). I would start now BUT, I was reading some literature from the Hospital for Sick Children (in Toronto -- plus I've read in other sources too) that starting too early may negate or reduce the protective effects from BF'ing (and I EBF now). I do NOT want to erase these months of hard work!!! I do know that every major health organizaiton (WHO, american and canadian pediatric associations all recommend to start at 6 months).

On the other hand, she's reached all the signs she's ready and I do think she'd enjoy it. Plus some people say that that's the best time to start and you can't follow the book or "the rules" and to let your LO be your guide. If she's my guide, I'm thinking she's ready BUT again, I don't want to negate any positive effects of our BF'ing!!!!

Any help ladies?? Any current research articles/resources that can help guide my decision. I know it's "just" a month away but it does seem like a long time, especially with LO watching us like a hawk eating and reaching out for food!!

Default Re: scared to start solids because of literature!

Your baby is supposed to be able to sit unsupported before you start solids. Here is some great information about all the reasons to delay starting solids.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I was tempted to start early too - but I waited. In the big scheme of things, it's ONLY another month. It doesn't hurt you to wait and may be better for your baby. So just hold off a little longer.

In the meantime, keep yourself busy with how you're going to introduce solids. Are you going to do Baby Led Solids? Are you going to make your own baby food? Have you put together what you want to start your baby on?

There's a lot of research to do still which will keep you more than busy. This month will fly by!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

If your mommy instinct is telling you to hold off, then hold off for now. Books are books and they say many things. Go with your gut.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*twokmommy View Post
    Go with your gut.
    We were given that motherly instinct for a reason. Follow it.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

thanks! I have already been doing research. I do plan on making my own babyfood, and I've thought about starting on various things: brown rice cereal, bananas, avocado. I just havent' decided which to start on! I do plan on raising her vegetarian.

Neither DF or I have any food allergies, only outdoor/seasonal types.

The baby led solids -- how does this work? Do the LO's basically feed themselves, do you give them a variety of foods and just let them grab and eat which they want?

I am aware that new literature now also says that you don't *have* to feed only 1 new food for a few days or feed just one food exclusively in one sitting. Is this part of the BLS?

shoot -- and I should mention that I am chronically iron-deficient (even as a child when I ate meat) and am very concerned that LO will also become so. Does anyone use extra vitamins or supplements?

I wouldn't add any iron supplements to the LO's diet without asking the doctor first. The do have ways to tell without a blood test whether or not they may be iron deficient, but if you want a blood test they can do that also.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

I started solids with DS at 6 mo after feeling ALOT of pressure from others to do so. In hindsight I would totally wait. Even though DS was interested, he would choke constantly and was not enjoying the experience. We finally backed off for a couple months and gave it another go - with alot better results.

Go with your gut. At 6 mo, these LO are still very much BABIES and they have their whole lives to experience food.
    Mommy to DS - 12/29/2007 and DD - 4/11/2010
    We are taking tandem nursing day by day

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*microgirl View Post
    thanks! I have already been doing research. I do plan on making my own babyfood, and I've thought about starting on various things: brown rice cereal, bananas, avocado. I just havent' decided which to start on! I do plan on raising her vegetarian.

Neither DF or I have any food allergies, only outdoor/seasonal types.

The baby led solids -- how does this work? Do the LO's basically feed themselves, do you give them a variety of foods and just let them grab and eat which they want?

I am aware that new literature now also says that you don't *have* to feed only 1 new food for a few days or feed just one food exclusively in one sitting. Is this part of the BLS?

There is literature to indicate that any allergy gives a propensity for baby to be allergic... the type of allergy matters not (I'll see if I cn find a link to the article/s)

As far as starting solids... another big indicator baby is fully ready is a good pincer grasp (getting/picking things with their index finger and thumb)

There are lots of threads regarding BLS.... ill see if I can bump them for you
    Last edited by @llli*number4; June 30th, 2009 at 10:19 AM. Reason: typo on work pincer
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.