Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: steam, boil or microwave food?

Default steam, boil or microwave food?

Hi ladies! and Happy Canada Day to all the Canadian mamas!!!!

I plan to make my LO's baby food, but wasn't sure which method was better: steam, boil or microwave???

Also, which fruits do not need to be cooked a bit beforehand? (besides banana, avocado, melons?)

TIA!

Default Re: steam, boil or microwave food?

I personally don;t think boiling anything is ever best unless you plan to use the leftover water, too. So many of the vitamins leach out into it. I think steaming and microwaving are equally good, depending on the food. I like to steam all my veggies, because they cook uniformly. And I like to microwave potatoes and sweet potatoes. I don't think fruit needs to be cooked. If it's too hard for the baby the way it is, save it till later or shred it. HTH
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

i really liked baking the food, you retain the MOST nutrients this way, I would make little foil pouches of carrots, peas, brocolli, califlower, anything really and bake/steam them in little pouches.... worked great and still my DS's prefferred way to cook carrots :yum-o
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Baking is by far the best because ALL of the nurients are retained. Microwaving is the worst because it cooks the foods from the inside out (instead of outside in) and basically destroys most of the nutirents. Steaming is better than boiling, but boiling is far better than microwaving.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    Baking is by far the best because ALL of the nurients are retained. Microwaving is the worst because it cooks the foods from the inside out (instead of outside in) and basically destroys most of the nutirents. Steaming is better than boiling, but boiling is far better than microwaving.

Microwaving. Ick.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

in my earlier post I probably should have said "most" not "all" with regards to baking. As for the dangers of microwaving, there are lots of articles floating around out there . . . this one is a good starting point for those who are interested in learning more about it.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Thumbs up Re: steam, boil or microwave food?

I haven't purchased readymade veggie or fruit baby food yet! I steam the majority of things. So far I've made carrots, peas, green beans, broccoli, sweet potato and apples all by steaming.

Things that I've made without any cooking at all have been pears, avocado and bananas. Of course the pears were soft, if they had been harder, I would have steamed them. As a side note, you can leave the skins on pears (although cut up well) as the skins are highly digestible too.

I have baked butternut squash and peaches. You cut them in half, cut side down with some water in the pan, bake at 400 until tender. They mash up really easily after that.

A site that I refer to all the time is: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/
    You can enter by age or by item you'd like to prepare and it gives you everything! How to select the item, how to prepare it and at what age you can give it to your little one.

I haven't made any meat for her yet and need to get on that. I'll probably do chicken. I've also got asparagus and cauliflower in the fridge that I need to make.

Lastly, I also refer to Foodland Ontario: http://www.foodland.gov.on.ca/english/index.html
    It tells me which veggies and fruits are coming into season so that I can buy at the peak of freshness! Also, by purchasing locally grown foods, you're helping the environment by cutting down on shipping and you're keeping your money close to home to help the economy!!

Lastly, I've been feeding the Heinz group of cereals to compliment her diet. http://www.heinzbaby.com/english/ I've found their foods to be the most nutricious while keeping the salt and sugar as low as possible. Their Nutrios are great too!!!

Happy Canada Day to you too!!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and