Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP! EP pumps and questions

Default Re: HELP! EP pumps and questions

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lizzie415 View Post
    I would strongly caution against moving off of a hospital grade pump to a personal user pump, until your supply is established. If you can get your hands on the older Classic or SMB models, that would be great, otherwise I would suggest the Symphony from a comfort perspective.

The freestyle is not a good option at this stage in your pumping, as I'm hearing more and more from lactation consultants that it is not as effective (especially for initiation of lactation) as the PIS (which isn't even a hospital-grade pump). And I would definitely stay away from the Purely Yours at this stage as it simply does not have the suction profiles of the hospital grade pumps or even the PIS.

Are you using any lanolin/nipple cream before pumping?

Keep at it - you're doing the right thing...it will get better!
    WSS
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lizzie415 View Post
    The freestyle is not a good option at this stage in your pumping, as I'm hearing more and more from lactation consultants that it is not as effective (especially for initiation of lactation) as the PIS (which isn't even a hospital-grade pump). And I would definitely stay away from the Purely Yours at this stage as it simply does not have the suction profiles of the hospital grade pumps or even the PIS.
    I am 3 weeks PP today, and I started out with my Freestyle and just got the Symphony on Thursday because I have heard over and over that you need a hospital grade to establish your supply when you EP. Quite honestly, I have not seen any difference in my output with the Symphony over the Freestyle. I experimented with using the Freestyle on one breast and the Symphony on the other and had the same results. It takes the same amount of time for both of them to empty my breasts and I get the same amount of milk. (Currently I get about 50oz/day.) The only major difference I have noticed is that the Symphony is a little gentler on my nipples than the Freestyle, but the freestyle is a pretty gentle pump to begin with.

I have also used a PIS before and I think the Freestyle is more effective than the PIS. I know different pumps work differently for every woman, but I get much more out with the Freestyle than I do the PIS.
    Trish~homebirthing mom and surro mom to DD Kaelie (5/03) surro son Aidan (2/08) & surro daughter Ellyss Anne 6/09; Proud to EP!!

Just an FYI, the Lactina has stronger suction than the Symphony.

The Symphony vacuum suction is rated the same as the Freestyle and the PIS, but the Lactina is rated at a stronger vacuum.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Hi - and congrats on your new arrival!!!

It is not ideal when LO is poorly and cannot feed directly - I know from personal experience. I also know how demoralising it is not to be producing more than a few cc of milk. I too was in that position when I brought my LO home from the hospital.

Don't despair - you are producing milk so you can re lactate or rather boost your supply. And more easily than if you had dried up so hang on to that.

Not having had access to milk banks where I am in the UK what worked for me/us is as follows.

1 I bought a PISA - I rather like it tbh - and pumped 10 times a day, 20 mins a time for 4 solid days. ON LOW SUCTION TO BEGIN WITH

2 I kept a chart of milk production, ebm fed to baby and formula fed to baby so I could really keep an eye on how I was doing. It helped HEAPS to see that each day I was producing a little more (and it was literally 5-10ml difference each time) as it meant each day I could cut back on giving formula as I was producing more milk myself!

3 I made my other half's life a living hell - he was up and down making cups of tea, fetching snacks, changing baby, letting me get as much rest as I could and letting me concentrate on milking

4 Mother's Love milk capsules - the really strong version. I have to be honest and found I had to take WAAYY more than the recommended dose to see a massive increase but am now down to a lower than suggested daily dose now my supply has evened out

5 Plenty of nutrient rich food - nuts, seeds (assuming you and your LO don't have allergies), lots of fresh fruit and yoghurt if you can do dairy. Plenty of fluids (chamomile tea might help if only from a relaxing POV)

6 Keep putting baby to the breast - even if she dosen't actualy do more than chew at you it will be a comfort for her and yur body will respond more effectively to the pump.

7 Kamillosan nipple cream - heals abrasions really quickly and you can pump w/out it harming the milk.

Oh and give yourself (if possible) the time and space to allow things to happen at your own pace. It took me about 3 weeks before I could stop feeding formula to my LO and another couple before I could stop having a batch in the fridge "just in case". I am now in the situation of having to throw milk out because i am producing more than my HUNGRY baby can glug down. I have him to my breast 3-4 times a day and he does get some direct from the source which is fab but not his primary source of getting the milk.

Keeping my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you!!

Wxxxxxx