Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sore nipple and red line

Default sore nipple and red line

So i have a question.. My left nipple is in constant, i mean constant pain. i still nurse from that side but i try to do it last as it hurts so bad.. and it hurts even when im not nursing..if i get cold and my nipple gets hard it hurts.. like throbbing pain and burning and it feels as if some one is pinching it with a pair of pliers with needles on the ends... and now today i have noticed a single red line from my areola up the side of my breast. is this a sign for an infection maybe? should i be worried and go see a doctor? the breast it self doesnt hurt just my nipple. and im not having and latch issues.. i check the placement of his tongue and lips and its fine.. he does wriggle a lot and kind of pull on the nipple occasionally. should i be worried?
    MOMMY OF 3: 2 W/ME AND 1 WAITING FOR ME

Georgia: 10/27/05
    Loyd: 02/15/07 (waiting for me)
    Tucker: 06/02/09

HAPPILY MARRIED 2/23/07

Default Re: sore nipple and red line

oh and i do use the medela tender care lanolin cream and it hasnt been working..

HAPPILY MARRIED 2/23/07

I would have it checked out mamma! Call your doc in the morning.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Yes, definitely have this checked out. The red line could be a sign of mastitis. Even though it hurts, you should nurse as much as possible on the affected side, and you should probably offer that breast first in order to ensure maximum drainage. Hang in there!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

so i did call my doctor and went and saw him today. he doesnt think i have mastitis yet he says that i was probably starting an infection but since the red line is fading he thinks my body is fighting it off on its own.. and no thrush.. he told me to just keep an eye on it and if it does become red again, more than just the line, then to come back.. i started offering him the sore boob first and it actually is making things feel a bit better! thanks for the advice!

HAPPILY MARRIED 2/23/07

ok well i woke up this morning.. feel like a mac truck hit me.. and i noticed another red line that circles around my breast, coming from the other side of my nipple.. i think my doc is crazy..

HAPPILY MARRIED 2/23/07

Mama, I hate to say it, but feeling like you've been hit by a truck plus the increased redness indicates mastitis to me. Time to go back to your doc- even if s/he is crazy...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*newbfmommy View Post
    So i have a question.. My left nipple is in constant, i mean constant pain. i still nurse from that side but i try to do it last as it hurts so bad.. and it hurts even when im not nursing..if i get cold and my nipple gets hard it hurts.. like throbbing pain and burning and it feels as if some one is pinching it with a pair of pliers with needles on the ends... and now today i have noticed a single red line from my areola up the side of my breast. is this a sign for an infection maybe? should i be worried and go see a doctor? the breast it self doesnt hurt just my nipple. and im not having and latch issues.. i check the placement of his tongue and lips and its fine.. he does wriggle a lot and kind of pull on the nipple occasionally. should i be worried?
    The red line sounds like it could be mastitis, but the part I bolded sounds like Raynaud's. And FYI, you don't always need to have the color change to mean that it is Raynaud's.

Raynaud's of the nipple

Vasospasm can also be caused by Raynaud's Phenomenon (more info here), which causes sudden vasospasms in the extremities. When nipple vasospasm is caused by Raynaud's Phenomenon (Raynaud's of the nipple), the nipple turns white, then there is usually a noticeable triphasic color change - from white to blue to red - as blood flow returns. The color change may also be biphasic - from white to blue.

Vasospasm due to Raynaud's is more likely to occur on both sides (rather than just one nipple), lasts for relatively long periods of time (rather than for a few seconds or a few minutes), and can occur during pregnancy and/or at times unrelated to feeding. Vasospasms may also occur in fingers or toes. Cold typically triggers the vasospasm and/or makes it worse. Nipple trauma (and other causes of compression blanching or vasospasm) can exacerbate the problem. Raynaud’s phenomenon may recur with subsequent pregnancies/breastfeeding, so be prepared to seek treatment quickly if you have experienced this in the past.

Per Anderson et al, "Because the breast pain associated with Raynaud’s phenomenon is so severe and throbbing, it is often mistaken for Candida albicans [yeast] infection. It is not unusual for mothers who have Raynaud’s phenomenon of the nipple to be treated inappropriately and often repeatedly for C albicans infections with topical or systemic antifungal agents."

Keep in mind that Raynaud's is not caused by breastfeeding (anyone might have it) -- it simply has the potential to affect breastfeeding. For example, any person might have inverted nipples, which might or might not affect a mother's breastfeeding relationship (as this can make latching or sore nipples more of a challenge in the beginning). Raynaud's works the same way - anyone might have it coming into breastfeeding, and it might (or might not) affect the breastfeeding relationship if the vasospasms are triggered by bad latch, a sudden temperature change as baby unlatches, etc.

Some maternal medications have been associated with vasospasm, including oral contraceptives. Fibromyalgia, rheumatologic diseases (eg, systemic lupus erythematosus or rheumatoid arthritis), endocrine diseases (eg, hypothyroidism or carcinoid), and prior breast surgery have also been associated with Raynaud’s phenomenon. Some sources indicate that the antifungal medication fluconazole may be associated with vasospasm, although the manufacturer does not report this as a known complication of fluconazole use. Other sources feel that vasospasms experienced by mothers taking fluconazole are a result of nipple pain/trauma due to thrush (and not due to the medication used to treat the thrush).

Treatment options for vasospasm

* Avoid cold. Apply dry heat to the breast when needed (this relaxes the "cramping" blood vessels). Some mothers benefit from keeping the entire body warm (warm clothing, warm room, wrap up in a blanket, etc.)
    * Cover the nipple as soon as possible after baby comes off the breast. Some moms say that it is helpful use a wool breast pad or a soft cloth diaper.
    * Apply dry heat immediately after breastfeeding. A rice sock can be useful as a source of dry heat: Fill a sock or a cloth bag with uncooked rice and microwave 45 seconds (or until desired warmth is achieved); hold the rice sock against the nipple (over the cloth or mom's shirt) until blood flow resumes.
    * Avoid caffeine, nicotine and other vasoconstrictive drugs, as they can precipitate symptoms.

* Ibuprofen.
    * Dietary supplementation with calcium/magnesium.
    * Dietary supplementation with vitamin B6.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE INFO!! I did call my doctor back today and he prescribed an antibiotic to me and told me to use some neosporin or generic on my nipples for the cracks.. he told me to pump after each time i feed my son as to make sure that i empty the breast.. i can never tell when i am "empty".. and my sisnlaw actually told me about the rice sock is what she called it... but thank you for helping me.. im getting to the point where i am so stressed and in pain i just wanna give up but i am using all i got to not stop nursing!!!

HAPPILY MARRIED 2/23/07

Hope you start to feel better. You are doing really well. I am sending happy thoughts your way and let us know if it gets better!
    Still nursing strong since 1/11/09! ! Still sleeping in the family bed Expecting Baby #2 5-29-11!!!