Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tips for starting my milk bank

Default Tips for starting my milk bank

I will be going back to work within the next two months. My little man is now 1 month old and I am just wondering when does the working mom start to pump for storage. I am thinking that now is a good time so that by the time I go back to work I have a nice storage supply but this is my first go around and I am not really sure.

Also WHEN should I pump so that it does not mess with my supply? AND How do I figure how many ounces he drinks? Do we start to give him a bottle more frequently so he can get use to it? If so when should I start?

Right now he is solely breastfed and has taken a bottle maybe 4 times.

Sorry if I am rambling but I don't want daycare to start and me nto have enough milk for him.

thanks ladies

Default Re: Tips for starting my milk bank

Read here!! http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html

The rule of thumb is 1-1.5oz per hour your gone. I wouldn't do any more bottles than necessary, maybe just once in awhile.

The morning is usually a good time to pump. Establishing a specific time will usually yield more than pumping at random times.

Pumping in addition to nursing is gonna change your supply, no matter what. So it's important to not over do it, you can have too much milk and it has it's own host of problems.
    Since you are creating an oversupply for your pump baby your probably not going to get a whole lot at once, just so you don't worry that if you only get drops!

I'd also make sure that your daycare is fully aware of how to bottle feed a breastfed baby. It's MUCH different than formula. Overfeeding tends to be a problem that a lot of us see. Your LO will probably peek at about 3-5oz a bottle and not go up from there. Formula you just keep having to up and up the oz. It also tends to be the first thing they try to pacify the baby too, so that can kill your stash as well. Just make sure everyone is on the same page!

Oh and store your milk in small quantities - it's better to add more than to have too much and have to dump it out. Think like 2-4oz. Also if you lay them flat to freeze then you can stand them up and they take up less space!

Pump a small amount of milk and freeze it, then thaw it a couple of days later to see if you have excess lipase. Lipase breaks down the carbohydrates in milk. Some mama's have excess and milk that is has excess lipase smells rancid or tastes soapy after it has sat for a while. I had a stash and it all had excess lipase. To remedy this if you have it, scald the milk before freezing.

[QUOTE=@llli*bunnyscooltes;730560]Read here!! http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html

The morning is usually a good time to pump. Establishing a specific time will usually yield more than pumping at random times.

QUOTE]

Silly question - is this before or after his feeding and is this from one or both breast...

thanks

I would try to do it between feedings. I would do it between DS's early-morning & regular-morning feed, about 45 minutes after he finished nursing. I started my stash when DS was 4 or 5 weeks old.

Morning is best because a) your supply is higher & b) your milk is the fattiest/most filling. If you pick a consistent time to pump, your body will gradually adjust to the "extra feeding" by making more milk. That will happen faster if you pump for 5 minutes after your milk stops flowing, which tells your body that the "baby" is still "hungry".

What pump are you going to use? I would highly recommend the Freestyle - the time it saves by being able to multitask as you pump (and at work not needing an outlet) has been a lifesaver for me and a number of my friends. It even gave me more time with DS, since I did my final pumping of the day in the car (driving) instead of at work. You can get a great deal here.

Great tips re caregivers from pp. One more thing - make sure that you have a bottle with a slow flow nipple, so that it will be as close to mom as possible. That will help to minimize nipple confusion. You can also need less at the sitter by asking them not to feed your baby for the 90 minutes or 2 hours (depending on how they space feedings) before you pick him up. Since baby is so much more efficient than pump, it makes sense to nurse when you can. I didn't have a place at my sitter's where I could feed my son, but I took him out to my car (with the heater/air running if necessary) to nurse before we went home - it was a great instant reconnection after a day apart.
    Last edited by @llli*imma2nonstopaa; June 29th, 2009 at 08:11 PM.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thank you so much for your tips. Now when you pump 45 minutes after he eats, do you pump from the side that he just ate, or both sides.

Right now I have the Medela harmony - once I go back to work I plan to get an electric medela so save on time.

I also think that because I am dealing with an oversupply issue I am so afraid of any kind of pumping and making my breast EVEN MORE engorged..
    Last edited by @llli*kaylabfjackmay09; June 30th, 2009 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kaylabfjackmay09 View Post
    Thank you so much for your tips. Now when you pump 45 minutes after he eats, do you pump from the side that he just ate, or both sides.
    I pumped from both sides, because I had a double-pump (at that point I was using the PISA).

I'm afraid I can't speak to oversupply, because I had the opposite problem (struggling to be able to pump enough until I got the Freestyle). When you do buy a pump, seriously check out the Freestyle. It is about $40 more than the PISA, but if you consider how many hours you will spend pumping it is completely worth it.

Oh - and if you post a question about pumping & oversupply in the "pumping" section, I'm sure you'll hear from some mamas who have similar issues!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png