Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Going from 1 to none

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,110

    Default Going from 1 to none

    Hi!

    DD1 is almost 2 1/2 yo and since DD2 was born 5 months ago I've been "helping" her to wean. It has been very gradual. We went from 6 nursing sessions a day to 3 and now once a day. Last saturday and today she hasn't even nursed at all and I think I'm ready to let go.

    Both times when she didn't nurse at all, I was away at her nursing session which is after her nap. She wakes up in a very (VERY) bad mood and when I'm there she "orders" me to nurse I could just arrange things so I'm not there when she wakes up but is this the right thing to do? I've been talking to her about not nursing anymore but of course she is only 2 1/2 so she says yes but then asks to nurse

    What do you think?

    Thanks a lot in advance!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,570

    Default Re: Going from 1 to none

    that last one is the hardest to let go of... Well I've heard that it's better not to wean by just not being there, and I think at your DD's age, she probably won't just forget about that nursing session. If you want to drop the session, I'd try to replace it with something. When I was weaning DD I'd give her warm cow's milk in a sippy cup and when she wakes up from her nap I usually give her a warm cup of milk and sit her in front of the tv until she's out of her bad mood. Good luck with whatever you choose to do. Congrats on nursing for so long


    Jeanne (my middle name IRL)


    Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,110

    Default Re: Going from 1 to none

    Thanks a lot for your quick reply!

    You are right, I actually dropped her morning session like that! I give her chocolate chips cookies (which I never do otherwise :P) and milk and sit her in front of the TV.

    I don't think that would work after nap, any other suggestion on a replacement?

    Thanks a lot!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Going from 1 to none

    Is going outside an option? My son recently weaned and loved this option. There are going to be days when that isn't an option, but an idea. Coloring time or play dough? Does she like simple puzzles yet, or ready to start with some help from you?

    Is there something around the house she likes to do with you. At that age my kids really liked helping sort, move, and learning to fold (wash cloths) laundry. They also liked helping empty dishwasher by stacking plates and bowls on the table. Or if she likes the vacuum cleaner maybe choose one room a day to vacuum during what was the nursing time.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    928

    Default Re: Going from 1 to none

    Great suggestions already. I just wanted to add that it will probably work better if you carve out some exclusive mommy time for her to replace the nursing session so she doesn't feel like nursing is the only way to have that special time being close to you.
    Emma

    J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    21,259

    Default Re: Going from 1 to none

    Can you get a family member to help out for a few days? When I weaned DD from the first nursing session of the day, my mom was a terrific help. I would take DD downstairs to play with grandma, and run back upstairs for some more sleep. By the time I came down again, DD had often forgotten all about nursing.

    In short, yeah, I think it can be a lot easier to wean if you are not there. Out of sight, out of mind.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,110

    Default Re: Going from 1 to none

    Thanks all for your suggestions!

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hoping.on.third View Post
    Is going outside an option? My son recently weaned and loved this option. There are going to be days when that isn't an option, but an idea. Coloring time or play dough? Does she like simple puzzles yet, or ready to start with some help from you?

    Is there something around the house she likes to do with you. At that age my kids really liked helping sort, move, and learning to fold (wash cloths) laundry. They also liked helping empty dishwasher by stacking plates and bowls on the table. Or if she likes the vacuum cleaner maybe choose one room a day to vacuum during what was the nursing time.

    These are great suggestions, thanks so much for taking your time to think, unfortunately DD1 is high need and she is not into those things, she won't trade nursing for that. I could try though.

    Going out is a different story, she looooves going out but we already do that after her nap, she still "screams" to nurse as soon as she wakes up.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Can you get a family member to help out for a few days? When I weaned DD from the first nursing session of the day, my mom was a terrific help. I would take DD downstairs to play with grandma, and run back upstairs for some more sleep. By the time I came down again, DD had often forgotten all about nursing.

    In short, yeah, I think it can be a lot easier to wean if you are not there. Out of sight, out of mind.
    Unfortunately all my family lives in South America. But that would be a great idea if they lived closer.

    I really appreciate all the suggestions, I hate to sound so negative but DD1 is not an easy toddler.

    I think I'm going to try home made ice-cream, lets see if she buys it :P I'll leave the "out of sight, out of mind" as a last resource but I know this one will definitely work.

    Thanks again!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,081

    Default Re: Going from 1 to none

    Good luck and let us know how it works! I know what you mean about not being able to replace nursing with another activity - I'm working on going from 2 sessions to 1 with Emma and she doesn't go for a replacement, no matter how good it is! I asked her the other day if she wanted to watch a movie before bed instead of nursing and she said "mom, I can watch a movie, then nurse and then go to bed - we have time for all of it." If I tell her she has to pick one, she will pick nursing. Your DD1 and mine sound similar from this and other posts!
    Mommy to:

    Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

    Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,110

    Default Re: Going from 1 to none

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenniebean5 View Post
    Good luck and let us know how it works! I know what you mean about not being able to replace nursing with another activity - I'm working on going from 2 sessions to 1 with Emma and she doesn't go for a replacement, no matter how good it is! I asked her the other day if she wanted to watch a movie before bed instead of nursing and she said "mom, I can watch a movie, then nurse and then go to bed - we have time for all of it." If I tell her she has to pick one, she will pick nursing. Your DD1 and mine sound similar from this and other posts!
    haha, yes, I agree , they sound very similar. They are very intense kids. She woke up from her nap and screamed for about 1/2 hour, I'm still upstairs, DH is dealing with her

    Well, yesterday it didn't work, I offered ice-cream but she didn't want so we nursed. When we finished she said, "I want ice-cream" LOL I didn't give it to her of course, we'll see if she wants ice-cream today

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,110

    Default UPDATE: Going from 1 to none

    WE DID IT!! With lots of hugs!

    What worked for us was to change the routine and be consistent. I was lucky that our first swim class was the week I decided to wean her. So when she asked to nurse I told her, why don't we go swimming instead. And she got so excited! After that I used different alternatives. Offering something to eat that she really loves, a big hug that lasted 1/2 hour. She cried a bit but then she just hugged me back. Now we hug after naps and she loves it, I don't have to say how much "I" love it

    Thanks all for your suggestions!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •