Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone please tell me he's not weaning

Default Someone please tell me he's not weaning

Hi LAdies! LO is 8 1/2 months old, and the past week or two has really cut back on his nursing sessions. I still offer and many times he refuses. Yesterday he has one really good session and that was his bed time session. How do I know if it's a strike or if he's just starting to wean himself? Im so not ready for this if he is starting to wean.
    Mommy to Liam born 10/13/2008
    Breastfeeding since Day 1

Breastfed ds for 15 months and cherished every minute of it!!

We love and

Default Re: Someone please tell me he's not weaning

have you increased the solids? Are you offering BM before solids? I wouldn't worry too much weaning prior to age 1 is very rare, just keep offering?

we havent increased solids, still only eating one jar a day, 1/2 in the am and the other 1/2 at dinner.

We love and

He could be teething, or coming down with a bug. If you're worried about your supply you can pump, but it sounds like a strike. Weaning generally happens so gradually that you almost don't notice the cutting back (from what I've been told), it's not a sudden thing.

Just keep offering, every chance you get, with no pressure. Take a bath together, co-sleep, cuddle. He'll come back.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

My DD weaned before she was a year, right around eight or nine months. It was really gradual, and as much as I offered, she just wasn't interested anymore. I didn't know then as much as I know now, obviously, and now I'd probably be a lot more proactive about getting her to latch back on, but if it helps at all - I have no regrets about letting her wean when she was ready. It was gradual, loving, and our relationship was just as close, just as loving, she needed me just as much after nursing as she did before. And with an almost three year old still begging to nurse 24/7, I wish that he'd wean as easily and lovingly as my DD did :-)
    Melissa
    Mom to Jessica (2/7/03) breastfed for 8 months
    Sam (7/6/06) breastfed for three years, five months, two weeks and three days (not that I was counting or anything :-)
    Julianna (4/29/10) struggled thru nursing strike, nipple confusion, thrush, multiple cracks and fissures, a staph infection and then another bout of thrush, but happily nursing away
    www.cohenfamily-melissa.blogspot.com

Try some different positions. That can sometimes help a lot. Take advantage of times when he's asleep. Sometimes they'll nurse well right after they fall asleep for a nap. This too shall pass...
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

How are things going? One more suggestion - have you tried "dream feeds" (nursing when he's asleep or almost asleep)?
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Just clarifying. Does he refuse to even try to latch or is it the follow through? At that age when we were dealing with teething DS would latch and almost immediately pull off, though each experience is probably different.
    Best wishes.

Babies don't generally wean of their own before 18months. Even a child who is out and out refusing to nurse while awake for weeks is striking. And will still eat when tired or sleepy. I have seen and known mothers here who have worked through strikes that have lasted as long for 6 weeks and mothers who have had to go through multiple bouts. And while it is emotionally taxing because it makes you feel personally rejected, it CAN be worked through and your child won't starve. Though some reverse cycling may go on and it may take a thick skin on your part.
    Way to make it through are : Don't panic. Your child will eat. The women I was close to who made it through nursing strikes didn't supplement. They just fed the baby always right before nap, bedtime during those times and right upon waking. Don't take it personally. Your child is NOT rejecting you personally. Don't believe that is IS weaning. Know that it's very common for children at that age to nurse less. They are distracted by all they are learning. I often would hang out with my son at that point without my shirt on in the afternoon and he would do the "drive by nurse." Looks like this Sometimes he would balance on my boob stick one in his mouth for a second, take two sucks and then crawl away. They don't want to STOP what they are doing to eat. And honestly I think at that point they will forget as well as actively reject any interruption in their playtime. So really you may have nothing to worry about at all.
    However if it IS a strike a strike isn't permanent and if you will do the work involved in dream feeding you will make it through. Keep us posted.
    Last edited by @llli*djs.mom; July 3rd, 2009 at 09:34 AM.

Way too lazy for formula

HI Ladies! Same ol same ol, got the same thing going on. He is a GREAT dream feeder, but during the day he will latch, sucks two or three times, then he will want to sit up and "look around" then lay back down in my lap and do thisover and over again and be done. Sometimes, if DH is in the same room when we nurse, he will be too concerend with what my DH is doing to really want to nurse. I tried sitting with him in my rocking chair, in the nursery and he will want to look out the window instead. Sometimes I feel like Im foolish to think that he is weaning because we still get 1 or 2 good sessions in a day. Mostly when he is going to sleep. Maybe he's just at that "nosey or preoccupied with other things" stage. MAybe he's cutting back? I dont' know, I try not to bog myself down with too many questions or concerns but I really want him to nurse STRONG for a minimum of 12 months. THanks for ALL your advice. It means alot!

We love and