Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: my bottles stink....

Default my bottles stink....

and i'm not sure if that's bad or not. i don't have a dishwasher at home, but i wash them pretty thoroughly every day. is it ok if they smell a bit like stale bm? any suggestions for making sure they are super-clean? ds doesn't eat out of these bottles, they're the ones that i pump into so the milk spends a lot of hours in them.
    Love my baby boy born 3/5/2009
    Earn gift cards and prizes with Swagbucks!

Default Re: my bottles stink....

Have you got a microwave? You could buy the steam bags that sterlize...I use them about once a week (so after about 20 uses). Or, if not you can always boil them every once in a while.
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

You could try washing them with hot water and viniger

**Tricia**
    Married to DH since July '07
    Mommy to Logan born 09/10/08

I wash mine with hot soapy water and rinse with cool water...don't know if that helps or not. But I find that if I wash and rinse with hot water the insides feel greasy...don't know if that makes any sense or not.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

thanks for the suggestions! i just may try all of the above, i think i'll try washing with vinegar today and doing the cold rinse, and i'll boil them on Friday. i do have one of the steam clean bags, but i keep that at work for my pump parts. i just hate to think that i'm pumping fresh bm into a stinky bottle!!

I have a microwave sterlizer (we don't have a dishwasher!!) and we LOVE it!! That way, I can save my microwave bags for when I will pump at work.

It's also a ton cheaper!! than using the bags all of the time. It sterilizes all bottles, pump parts, pacifiers and the like! Bigger bottle fit too, it just takes a little tweaking

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*goldiecar View Post
    I have a microwave sterlizer (we don't have a dishwasher!!) and we LOVE it!! That way, I can save my microwave bags for when I will pump at work.

It's also a ton cheaper!! than using the bags all of the time. It sterilizes all bottles, pump parts, pacifiers and the like! Bigger bottle fit too, it just takes a little tweaking
    oh what a great idea! boiling has gotten really tedious, it did work to resolve the stink issues, but it's no fun! i have an amazon gift card just waiting to be used, and i'm glad i saved it!

You could do vinegar and water or even a touch of bleach in a sink full of water. We don't have a dish washer either and the vinegar wasn't doing the trick on DS's sippy cups. So now every 2 weeks i fill the sink with water and just a touch of bleach and soak them all for a couple hours. THEN I wash them with regular dish soap and hot water really fast then let them dry. The was isn't necessary but I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to using bleach I have to clean afterwards (ok maybe i'm a little ocd in that aspect )

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!