Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BLS earlier than 6MO?

Default BLS earlier than 6MO?

Hello,

DS is 16 weeks this week. I know he is going through a growth spurt because he is nursing every 2 hours around the clock. I assume he eating around 30 ounces a day based on what i'm able to pump (so he is probably eating more!)

He seems to have the cues that he is ready for solids based on other threads i've read on here. He has more than doubled his birth weight and is close to 17lbs. He is VERY interested in what we are eating and often will try to reach for our food. I gave him water from a sippy cup just to let him play with it and he quickly learned how to use it, I can now give him BM in one if I want. The only sign he doesn't have is can't sit up unassisted yet, but sits well in his bumbo chair with excellent head controll.

I guess my question is, do I try solids? I've read a lot about BLS and I want to do this with him, has anyone else started BLS at 4MO? I would like to see if he will take a bananna or avocado either in his hand or in the mesh feeder but I'm too scared to do it! I'm open to trying cereal but I would really like to just jump into the real stuff!

Do you ladies think his frequent nursing at night is just a growth spurt or should I try offering him solids?

Any comments or suggestions are really appreciated! Thank you!
    I'm Brooklyn, Mom to Cort Evan, born March 12th, 2009.

EBF since day one!

8lbs 7oz: Birth
    10lbs 6oz: One Month
    12lbs 7oz: Two Months
    13lbs 10oz: Three Months
    17lbs 4oz: Four Months
    18 lbs 14 oz: Five Months
    19 lbs 15 oz: Six Months
    21 lbs 9 oz: Eight Months

Default Re: BLS earlier than 6MO?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*b24brooklyn View Post
    Hello,

DS is 16 weeks this week. I know he is going through a growth spurt because he is nursing every 2 hours around the clock. I assume he eating around 30 ounces a day based on what i'm able to pump (so he is probably eating more!)

He seems to have the cues that he is ready for solids based on other threads i've read on here. He has more than doubled his birth weight and is close to 17lbs. He is VERY interested in what we are eating and often will try to reach for our food. I gave him water from a sippy cup just to let him play with it and he quickly learned how to use it, I can now give him BM in one if I want. The only sign he doesn't have is can't sit up unassisted yet, but sits well in his bumbo chair with excellent head controll.

I guess my question is, do I try solids? I've read a lot about BLS and I want to do this with him, has anyone else started BLS at 4MO? I would like to see if he will take a bananna or avocado either in his hand or in the mesh feeder but I'm too scared to do it! I'm open to trying cereal but I would really like to just jump into the real stuff!

Do you ladies think his frequent nursing at night is just a growth spurt or should I try offering him solids?

Any comments or suggestions are really appreciated! Thank you!
    I think that your lo is probably just going through a growth spurt.

I would just keep nurisng on demand and wait to offer solids. It is reccomended that solids be delayed until 6 months. Your baby is getting everything they need from your breastmilk. Here is some great info about solids.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    I think that your lo is probably just going through a growth spurt.

I would just keep nurisng on demand and wait to offer solids. It is reccomended that solids be delayed until 6 months. Your baby is getting everything they need from your breastmilk. Here is some great info about solids.
    Thank you! I know this is huge growth spurt time, I just wondered if sometimes it really does coincide with being ready for solids.

EBF since day one!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*b24brooklyn View Post
    Thank you! I know this is huge growth spurt time, I just wondered if sometimes it really does coincide with being ready for solids.
    No problem mama! This phase will pass. If there's one thing that's consistant in the first year, it's change.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

No. Sitting unassisted is a HUGE developmental sign to not be there and those bumbo chairs while helpful for social engagement, don't make a bit of difference in terms of when children are actually ready to do things.
    Also, keep in mind your 4 month olds interest is your food, has nothing to with HUNGER. It has to do interest in EVERYTHING you do and have. Very interested in the shiny coke can. Will grab at at. Not ready for soda. Very interested in Keys. Will grab and mouth if you let him. Not ready to drive. The idea that a 4 month old may be ready for solids because they lunge for food is a social projection. A 4 month old does NOT want solid food. They don't know what it is and even if they grabbed it and put it in their mouth (the same way they would the keys or anything else yo give you give them) they won't associate it with food or hunger. Even a child that begins BLS at 6 months, doesn't actually SWALLOW any food for months, or realize that they are using their tongue for taste for a few more and it takes usually until the year point or longer for a baby to actually associate solid food with hunger. So don't rush into it. 4months is too soon for solids. There will only be a short little time in your baby's life where YOU can provide all he needs. Relish it. Because once solids are on the table, even the ones the just push around their mouth and then push out, it's more work. More to worry about. What's OK? Organic or Not? Meat when? avoid anything with salt or citrus, and on and on. Wait to add all that drama to your plate as a mother. Right now, everything you feed the baby is as perfect as it can possibly be. Enjoy it. You have YEARS to worry about what your are putting into your kids in the way of food.

Way too lazy for formula

Thank you ladies!

EBF since day one!