Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Solids to Aid Bottle Acceptance?

Default Re: Solids to Aid Bottle Acceptance?

When Logan refused the bottle dh would feed him in front of a mirror so he could look at himself and it disracted him enough to start sucking the bottle, also if dh heated up the milk a TAD warmer then when it came from the breast he would take it...hope you find something that works soon!

**Tricia**
    Married to DH since July '07
    Mommy to Logan born 09/10/08

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    I know you've tried a zillion types of bottles - what else have you tried?

Spoon feeding EBM? Cup?

HANG IN HERE!
    ALL of that.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Or just feed her before you leave so you KNOW she doesn't need to eat and then if she cries because she wants you but she is with her Daddy, too bad. So Sad. But she is fed, and dry and FINE. And you'll be back and they'll manage.
    Very true. I'll have to. No two ways about it.

I was just on a conference call and she WAILED for 30mins until I got her.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Just curious... how long do you let her fuss before you give in and nurse her? I remember calling my mom when I was trying to get my DD to take a bottle and telling her, "But MOM! It's been 5 whole hours since she last ate!!" And my mom said, "Honey, she'll be fine." And she was. And she did eventually take a bottle. Just saying... I know you don't want to be cruel or let Lu starve or anything, but just wondering how many hours you let them try the bottle before you give in and nurse her?

And I won't give you a virtual slap for thinking about cereal... back when I was DES.PER.ATE to get my DD to STTN and I was so sleep deprived I couldn't form rational sentences, I gave her cereal at 4 months, thinking it might help her sleep. Of course, it didn't work , but I won't flame anybody for trying something different to see if they can improve their situation.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Normally, I try to not be around. So I time it for when I have just nursed her to sleep and she will be napping anywhere from 1-2 hours. So if I have a Chiropractic appt or therapy, that's an hour. I nurse her down before I leave. Have some milk there for when she wakes up and head out.

Invariably, I come back to her wailing at the top of her lungs for the breast.

I think I may try spoon feeding her some breastmilk. The pedi's advice was that the method of spoonfeeding may help her with the method that's needed for the bottle. She didn't say it would, just that it might.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Have you tried spoon feeding her EBM?

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

sorry I missed you already answered that.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mothersky View Post
    I think I may try spoon feeding her some breastmilk. The pedi's advice was that the method of spoonfeeding may help her with the method that's needed for the bottle. She didn't say it would, just that it might.
    That sounds like a good compromise, instead of trying cereal. Because then she's getting practice using a spoon, which may help her take a bottle, but she's still just getting BM.

Something else I thought of... she might be too young to try it, but you might consider trying a soft spout sippy cup, like the Nuby ones. I know you've tried just about every bottle/nipple out there, but you never know if she might take a sippy?? Just a thought.

OH! I just thought of something else... when my DD was sick with a stomach bug, I fed her EBM through one of those medicine syringes to keep her hydrated. So Lu's caregivers might give a medicine syringe a try, just to get a bit of milk in her when you're out?? Or maybe you already have...
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Or just feed her before you leave so you KNOW she doesn't need to eat and then if she cries because she wants you but she is with her Daddy, too bad. So Sad. But she is fed, and dry and FINE. And you'll be back and they'll manage.
    WSS.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Try a sippy, you never know it might work! Or a syringe if you are desparate.
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    Nope - don't do it!

PLUS - if you're worried about food intolerances / allergies then IMO jumping the gun on solids is a really bad idea.

It was horrible once Ben started on solids because I had two diets to decipher Plus, it's just bad for allergy babes before they are ready.

I completely agree with Shelly.

Bennett refused every.single.type.of.bottle. I literally had purchased every single type of nipple at BRU. They had just come out with the bottle contraption that had 2 nipples in one (I can't remember what it is called) I couldn't find one anywhere. My mom called around and had one fed ex'd to her house. That one didn't work either.

When Bennett was about 18 mo., I put all of the bottles into a large laundry basket and donated them to a women's shelter. Ben walked up to the basket, pulled one out, popped it into his mouth and said "yum". I.could.have.killed.him.

We had one of those first word books with the pictures. Just to amuse myself, I would ask him "which one is the bottle? Show mama the bottle" I always got this look Then one day right before he was 2, we were at a music class and one of the mom's there popped a bottle into her kids mouth. Ben went over to observe and she said "she's having her bottle" Ben turned and looked at me like 'aha'! That's what it is

Sorry, I know I am not helping