Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solids to Aid Bottle Acceptance?

Default Solids to Aid Bottle Acceptance?

Hey ladies. Posting this out of frustration really so feel free to issue a virtual slap if you think I should return to my senses.

As you know, Lu is boycotting the bottle. I kick myself daily because she took it at 6w and I got cocky, thinking she should be fine and didn't offer it again until she was 8w. Now, no bottle - at all. It works well because I work from home but if I have a meeting, or just want a little time to myself, I'm worried that she will starve (ok, not starve, but just make everyone else crazy with her wailing for me).

At her 3m appt the pedi suggested (if I wanted) that I could try her with cereal at 4 months as the mechanism required to accept a spoon will help her learn how to accept the bottle. After a weekend of rushing to do everything I could in the hour or two or three that she gave me, I'm seriously considering it but....I'm chicken. Should I do it? Should I wait like I did with K? I'm on the fence so please let me have your honest input (or a virtual slap if necessary).

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Default Re: Solids to Aid Bottle Acceptance?

My daughter Lilah would not take the bottle and would start screaming at one point if she saw it. I don't think that having her eat cereal would have helped. She's still not crazy about the bottle, but she will drink enough from it to get through the day.

My babysitter, Margaret, would offer her the bottle and if Lilah got upset, Margaret would put the bottle away. Eventually she started eating from the bottle, but it took a while. Something else Margaret tried was cup feeding her. It took a long time, but she got the milk in her and she didn't have a starving baby on her hands. I don't think there are any magic solutions - no perfect bottle or other trick that is going to make a baby eat from the bottle.

Will she suck on ice cubes? Lilah loves sucking on them in those mesh feeder bags. Maybe you could freeze some milk and get it in her that way? I'm considering doing that myself right now because my daughter is reverse-cycling when I'm at work which makes for long nights.

Don't give her CEREAL!!! I can't see how it would help her to accept the bottle?

I think if anything her getting super hungry would help her to acept the bootle, kwim?
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Thanks ladies. I needed a slap back to reality there.

I just got more nipples. Lordy.

"Don't toush da mango"

Are you out of the house when Michael tries to feed her? Emily NEVER took a bottle of I was anywhere near her. Never.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Nope - don't do it!

PLUS - if you're worried about food intolerances / allergies then IMO jumping the gun on solids is a really bad idea.

DS never took a bottle from me or if he knew I was anywhere around. My dad was only able to get DS to take a bottle from him while he (dad) was wearing DS and walking about.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

You really did not just post this. You send that squishy baby over here. Cereal at 4months and paper underwear? I am gonna get you. Take that.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    You really did not just post this. You send that squishy baby over here. Cereal at 4months and paper underwear? I am gonna get you. Take that.
    I'm desperate! Feeling all sorts of angry and resentful. I need my face slapped. Because I KNOW I don't want to do it.

And we're back to cloth...and paper.

Yes, I've been out of the house when they try with the bottle. She just wails until I show up.

Yup Lynn, that's another concern. I'm seriously not thinking clearly. I just want an hour or two away where I know she will be ok and eat and not wail and wait for mommy to come back with the perfect device (and it is perfect) of delivery. I just feel so stressed. I swear she starts crying and I get so antsy. I can't even concentrate.

"Don't toush da mango"

I know you've tried a zillion types of bottles - what else have you tried?

Spoon feeding EBM? Cup?

HANG IN HERE!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Or just feed her before you leave so you KNOW she doesn't need to eat and then if she cries because she wants you but she is with her Daddy, too bad. So Sad. But she is fed, and dry and FINE. And you'll be back and they'll manage.

Way too lazy for formula