Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: zantac

Default zantac

My beautiful lo was prescribed zantac by her dr thinking that she has reflux since at that visit she was spit up quite a bit.

So she has been on it now for 2weeks. she is 3.5 mo old and is given 2/3 of ml 2x daily. I haven't noticed any difference.

How can I really tell if it is doing the treat or not? I don't want to give med just for the he** of it!! She has been getting gas pretty bad lately and am not sure if this related to the med's or not.

I have noticed that my nipples have been getting sore lately don't know if this could also be related or not.

Any suggestions on what I need to be noticing?
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

Default Re: zantac

Was your LO showing any other signs of reflux? Arching her back when nursing, cries a lot, hiccups a lot, prefers being in an upright position ect...?

Babies spit up. It is not always attributed to acid reflux.

If it is acid reflux, the Zantac dose may need to be adjusted several times b/f it works. Peds tend to start at the lowest possible dose and work from there. Often Zantac doesn't work at all for some babies and other meds need to be tried (eg. Prevacid).

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Well, zantac won't stop the spitting up. Zantac only cools the burn of the acid.

A lot of times, zantac doesn't work and an H2 blocker (prevaicd or prilosec) has to be used. Also, zantac is weight controlled so the dose may need to be adjusted.

It took us about a week to see any change when we started on zantac. I too didn't think my DS had reflux but sure enough, he did and what was 'silent reflux' (meaning he wasn't a spitter, he swalloed it back down) turned into full blow reflux about a month after he was diagnosed. He's on prevacid now and is a happy camper!

I hope it works out for you... Give it a few more days and ask the doc about modifing the dose. I second the PP, docs start out at the lowest dose possible and a lot of times that just isn't enough.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by luke's mom
    Was your LO showing any other signs of reflux? Arching her back when nursing, cries a lot, hiccups a lot, prefers being in an upright position ect...?

Babies spit up. It is not always attributed to acid reflux.

If it is acid reflux, the Zantac dose may need to be adjusted several times b/f it works. Peds tend to start at the lowest possible dose and work from there. Often Zantac doesn't work at all for some babies and other meds need to be tried (eg. Prevacid).
    I haven't really seen her arching her back. but does get hiccups alot and at times really cries alot. As far as upright position no preference really. I had gave her the zantac for the 2 wks and haven't given any to her today as I haven't really seen anything that is showing a change.

Thanks for the advice, I am going to her dr appt towards' the end of the month *unless of course things tell me otherwise* so I am going to discuss with him other possiblities.

Jen
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

My daughter also is on Zantac. She spits up intermittently, sometimes projectile. But the more concerning behaviors were back-arching and fussing while nursing. She also drools a lot, sticks her fingers down her throat, and has frequent hiccups. She often fusses when laid on her back. I have been giving her the medicine for about a week and it seems to help, but it's so hard to tell. She may just be a gassy and finicky nurser, but I figure I will continue to give it to her for a while longer. I would hate to withhold it if it really helps. Any other thoughts on this issue from other moms??? Thanks!

I live in a place where they don't beleive in reflux in babies. When our LO was spitting uo heaving, even throwing up started at week 5, Dr. recommended some some medication that worked only sometimes. Then I notices that baby would spit up MORE when burping him or holding him in ANY way that would press on his belly. Also when very happy, here comed the vomit. It occurred to us that pressure on the belly was causing the spit up, and we try not to leave belly "untouched" for abour 60 min after the feeding.

and guess what?? spit up totally gone. As simple as that.

watch for you burping/play position. Maybe that is causing the spit up.