Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm losing ME!

Default Re: I'm losing ME!

It's taxing to be everything to everyone isn't it

I know when I was working I made every moment I was alone 'me' time. Some examples...

I was deliberate about the music I listended to in the car to and from work.

Any phone call I might have made on my lunch hour was to a friend to be 'just one of the girls'

I made sure to read books I enjoyed on my lunch hour as well.

I was sure to bring or buy something for lunch that I really loved and reveled in the fact that I didn't have to share it

(Lunch hour was big for me can you tell )

I made those moments count... because I was a single working mom and I didn't have time otherwise.

Find those little pockets of time, those precious moments and do something that makes you you. Oh and yes - go to the salon... sometimes beauty schools offer great discounts if money is an issue
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I agree that you have to make YOU a priority too. As Mom's, we put "us" at the bottom of the list. However, if you were the CEO of a company, and you saw your key, right hand person running themselves ragged, you'd force them to take time to recharge. Since you ARE the CEO of your life, you need to force yourself to invest in you. Schedule yourself something once a week where you know that this time is for YOU. Stroll around a mall, go for a walk through a park, treat yourself to an ice cream.

I agree that going to a hair dresser to give you a "wash n wear" style would be best. Maybe scrinch it with a bit of product and go. A girl friend and I also spent an afternoon once with a makeup artist to teach us about our makeup. She reviewed our makeup bags, told us what was good, what wasn't, how to apply it for the best effect. She also taught us a "quick day look" which was under 3 minutes and how to "vamp it up for night" which was an additional 5 minutes. It was a GREAT afternoon and really helped me to know that if I set up LO for 3 minutes in her exersaucer with some nutrio's, I had time to make myself look human.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I work FT and have two DD's. I put me last too, so I don't have any better advice than PP's on WHAT to do with your personal time. However, I've found what works for me in order to get some time. I am very scheduled and detail-oriented. I have household routines that split out my housework, cooking, shopping, etc. into different days - ie. Mondays I do girls' laundry, Tuesdays I clean bathrooms and dust (every other one that house keeper doesn't come), Wednesday are treat days/chore night off, Thurs I wash couch covers and vacuum furniture in living room, Friday I meal plan, Sat I do mine and DH's laundry, Sun I do grocery shopping. Every night I cook dinner, pick up the house and vacuum (I have slight OCD issues with fuzz and have pets). Anyway, by spreading out my chores and knowing exactly what I should do to stay caught up, I feel better and can relax when done if that makes sense (instead of thinking, no, I can't sit down now - I have to do x or y first).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama-cpa View Post
    I work FT and have two DD's. I put me last too, so I don't have any better advice than PP's on WHAT to do with your personal time. However, I've found what works for me in order to get some time. I am very scheduled and detail-oriented. I have household routines that split out my housework, cooking, shopping, etc. into different days - ie. Mondays I do girls' laundry, Tuesdays I clean bathrooms and dust (every other one that house keeper doesn't come), Wednesday are treat days/chore night off, Thurs I wash couch covers and vacuum furniture in living room, Friday I meal plan, Sat I do mine and DH's laundry, Sun I do grocery shopping. Every night I cook dinner, pick up the house and vacuum (I have slight OCD issues with fuzz and have pets). Anyway, by spreading out my chores and knowing exactly what I should do to stay caught up, I feel better and can relax when done if that makes sense (instead of thinking, no, I can't sit down now - I have to do x or y first).
    Holy crap You get more done than I do and I stay at home!!! WTG I am impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shannon75 View Post
    Holy crap You get more done than I do and I stay at home!!! WTG I am impressed.
    Thanks Did you see the part where I said I have OCD issues Seriously, it helps that my girls are now 2 and 4 and like to "help" me with chores and my DH gets home about an hour later than me and can play with them some when I'm doing stuff they don't like to do.

I think having that kind of schedule is a good idea. I've tried to do it...wash this on tuesday, do this on Wednesday etc. It doesn't seem to last for me though. But I'll keep trying.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one! Some things that I've learned...I apply my make up while nursing before I leave for work. I don't have lunch as I generally work through lunch to make up for my pump breaks (plus my job usually requires 45-50 hour weeks and I need that extra time). I do however try and call my best friend while I'm pumping on her day off to keep up on the girl talk (she ignores the pump sucking sound in the background). And I had to admit to myself after 4 weeks back at work after baby #2 that I wasn't super-mommy and we hired a housekeeper to do the dirty work. It killed me to admit it and shell out the money, but now I see it's the best money I've spent as it keeps those tasks from weighing on me and lets me focus on my family!

One thing really jumped out at me from your post: "a demanding DH"
    What is his role in all of this? Is he much help with the kids/house?
    I agree that if you can make your lunch hours or commute time "me" time that might help.
    I also agree that if you can spare some cash, hiring help with some of those nagging tasks like housecleaning or yardwork can be a huge help.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post
    It's taxing to be everything to everyone isn't it

I know when I was working I made every moment I was alone 'me' time. Some examples...

I was deliberate about the music I listended to in the car to and from work.

Any phone call I might have made on my lunch hour was to a friend to be 'just one of the girls'

I made sure to read books I enjoyed on my lunch hour as well.

I was sure to bring or buy something for lunch that I really loved and reveled in the fact that I didn't have to share it

(Lunch hour was big for me can you tell )

I made those moments count... because I was a single working mom and I didn't have time otherwise.

Find those little pockets of time, those precious moments and do something that makes you you. Oh and yes - go to the salon... sometimes beauty schools offer great discounts if money is an issue

I try this - so when I pump, I mostly come onto the forums and try to make it 'me' time...It's enough here and there - I sometimes feel like I'm only Mommy and let everything else slip to the waistside, IFKWIM?

And Molly, yes, DH is demanding - but so am I....I expect him to do all of HIS JOBS and he expects me to do all mine....So we play off eachother....I don't fix a thing in my house, or wash cars, or take out the garbage and obviously a bunch of other 'his' jobs - so we do push eachother but I do take care of the kids, for the most part.

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

I think we all go through this from time to time. I work a full time job and a part time job - 48 hours a week. I get home at 8:00 some nights to realize that I need to do laundry for the following day (I have to wake up at 4:15 am for work). What I do to help me feel like I am getting some "me time" is go to lunch with some of my friends every couple of weeks or so or I will take a nice, long, hot bubble bath. You may feel like me - I can't rest or take a break until it's all done. It can be a problem. You have to train yourself to realize that you don't have to look perfect or have the perfect house to be happy. It's taken me years to realize this, but it will come. You are doing a wonderful job!