Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hitting a wall with weaning at 14mths...

Default Hitting a wall with weaning at 14mths...

I began replacing a feed with formula at around 1tmths when my son went through a stage of being too distracted to nurse. Slowly I began to reduce a feed little by littles so that my son or my breasts hadn't even realized (no engorgement) but we have been stuck at 1/2 feeds a day for the last 2 mths (my son is 14mths old). In the morning all he wants to is nurse in the morning, I can distract him if I take him downstairs at 6.30am instead of my bed and offer him a sippy cup but in that case he will want to nurse again at 10am. He usually nurses at 5pm too but there is barely any milk so it runs out quickly and I try to take him off the breast when it stops so he doesn't just suck and stimulate more milk production. I hate to say no to him and it upsets me to see him throw his sippy cup away and whine 'mama, mama' while patting my breast. I have had a very positive breastfeeding experience but this last part is hard, I want to be done now but I don't want him to feel rejected. Where do I go from here?

Default Re: Hitting a wall with weaning at 14mths...

I also found it challenging to wean my daughter (then a 2.5 year-old) from the first a.m. feed. What finally made it possible was visiting my parents. DD would wake up, I would take her downstairs, and she would go right to grandma for playtime while I went back upstairs for some more sleep. Sometimes when I came back down DD would want to nurse, and sometimes she forgot. After about a week, she no longer asked. Maybe if you can find a family member who is willing to help in the mornings, you will have a similar experience.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My babe is 13 months and I just weaned him 3 days ago really smoothly! (I can't believe it b/c I was wondering how I would ever be able to go about it without really upsetting him and myself!
    My first son (9 years ago) was weaned at 2 1/2 - I was a stay at home mom at the time and I remember talking to him about it and soothing him through cuddle, conversation, and explaining.
    I wondered how I could do that being that I am weaning earlier this time and I thought he wouldn't be able to understand if I explain. Boy was I wrong!! I am a teacher and my mom has been watching my baby each day while I work. I would pump at lunch and give her breast milk. He would NOT take a bottle, he had limited milk during the day, and I was always worried about that- although he co-sleeps and would make up for the calories/nutrition all night long it seemed! When he turned 1 year I had my mom try giving him organic whole milk in a sippy cup and he would sip here and there but still didn't get much and would nurse all night long. I decided to wean b/c I wanted him to get on a better eating schedule (DURING THE DAY ).
    So 3 days ago, night came and I was lying in bed with him and tried the explaining and cuddling I did with my first son 9 years ago. He was upset and frustrated. He babbled with anger and frustration as I kept saying "you're soooo big! No more nana because your'e SOOO BIIGGG!! Brother goes nani (sleep) without nana because he is sooo big! You go nani (sleep)" and he lyed on my belly and I rubbed his back explaining over and over. He rolled over on the bed and cuddled and held my hand as I kept explaining. He went back on my belly then back on the bed all night as I kept explaining!! The next day and night, he DIDN'T even try to nurse!! It was as though he remembered our conversation and understood!! Yesterday, I decided to try a bottle of whole milk (remember, he ALWAYS refused a bottle from anyone- especially me!) I thought- bottles of whole milk would be good to get sufficient nutrition and then he could con't sipping on a sippy cup for water etc.. Well, I have a stockpile of Born Free bottles (which he never really used). I tried the stage 3 nipple which came out too quickly but I noticed he all the sudden liked being in my arms drinking a bottle b/c he knew it was the closest thing to nursing which he realized was a thing of the past. The milk came out too quick and he couldn't just lie down and drink. I tried level 2 nipple and the same thing. I tried a level 1 nipple and he lied in my arms and downed 7 ounces without ever taking a breath!! I WAS SHOCKED!! I know it may seem backwards to go to a bottle, but 2 days after weaning, he is drinking 3 bottles of whole milk- no problem! (A kid who always STRONGLY refused a bottle!) I think we both enjoy the continuation of the nursing like cuddle of the bottle. He is sleeping through the night cuddling with me and is eating well and drinking well during the day! I am soooo pleased and can't believe I doubted that he would understand our conversation that first night. Being that we weaned so quickly and smoothly, I pump a few times to prevent mastitis and I am adjusting to producing less and less milk. I hope this might help.
    Last edited by @llli*elocinr; June 28th, 2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: mechanics

Wow, I never thought of simply explaining. At 14mths he understands so much, I'm sure he would get it. At the moment when he wants to nurse I say 'hey come and look at the birds (or whatever) and would you like a sippy cup?' and try to distract that way but once/twice a day he won't get distracted and I feel bad and nurse again. Tmrw I will try talking to him, he's very smart.
    By the way what you said about explaining and holding his hand and cuddling brought tears to my eyes...its adorable that he took what you said in and decided to cuddle.
    I put all our bottles away, he never used them and takes a sippy cup for the rest of the day so I don't want to go back but you have a good point about feeling close. He is happy to drink his sippys with food in his highchair and walking around but perhaps for these feeds he has became attached to I will sit him on my lap and stroke his hair. I have a feeling it might make him want to nurse even more but its worth a try.
    Momma1, I have asked my husband to bring him downstairs each morning for 5 days for breakfast to get us started but it never happens...be thankful for your mom!

Oh Elosinr,
    I also wanted to ask you about the engorgement. I very rarely pump and only have a manual pump. I managed to miss one morning feed a week ago and although I've been weaning very gradually I had huge sore and swollen breasts by 10am. I pumped for a few minutes on each side but within a couple of hours I was sore again. How long do you pump for to relieve the pain but not encourage milk production?