Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Traveling w/o LO. What to do?

Default Traveling w/o LO. What to do?

I am taking the bar exam at the end of July. I have to make a three hour drive and stay in a hotel for three nights, so DS is staying home with Daddy. My sister is going to come help out since DH will be on second shift, but anyway...

So of course I am going to have to pump. First I have to pump enough for him to make it through 3-4 days without me. But I have a pretty good stash and I am OK if they have to supplement with formula while I am gone, since he will be 8 months old. I think it'll be ok.

But also I have to pump while I am out of town. And I would prefer not to dump it all down the drain. But I have to stay for 3-4 days and then make a three hour drive back home.

Ideas on how to do this? I don't think milk keeps for four days. Also, I am not sure if a cooler is as effective at keeping things cold as a refrigerator, so it seems that it would go bad faster in a cooler than it would normally in the fridge.

I don't think there is a fridge in my room.
    Mom to Jack 11/27/08 (Our Thanksgiving Baby!)

Default Re: Traveling w/o LO. What to do?

you could ask the hotel to freeze it for you, if they have a freezer.
    Its worth asking about.

if you're willing to donate, check out Milkshare. A lot of people on there do one-time donations when they're traveling away from the baby in order to keep from wasting the milk. There are a lot of needy babies out there, so I'm sure you'd be able to find someone near to wear you're staying.
    Love my baby boy born 3/5/2009
    Earn gift cards and prizes with Swagbucks!

I also have a Thanksgiving day baby and will be traveling away from him for work reasons at about 8 monhts. After getting alot of advice from these wonderful mamas on here I got up the nerve to call the front desk at my hotel and they were VERY helpful. I'll have a fridge waiting in my room on arrival and they are going to store it for my on the last day since I will be checking out in the morning but not leaving town until later that morning. I think most major hotel chains offer this service to pumping moms. You should give it a try. If you can get a fridge, you're milk will stay good the whole time and make a 3 hour trip home in a cooler with no problem! Good luck on the trip and the test!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sh0rtchica View Post
    if you're willing to donate, check out Milkshare. A lot of people on there do one-time donations when they're traveling away from the baby in order to keep from wasting the milk. There are a lot of needy babies out there, so I'm sure you'd be able to find someone near to wear you're staying.
    I looked at this, but they want me to find a donee, get an agreement signed, get bloodwork done, etc., etc.

As I mentioned, I have a baby and I am studying for the bar exam. I don't have that kind of time! I appreciate its a good cause and I understand why they have these procedures, but its not worth it for 3 days worth of milk.

On the other hand, it turns out that my hotel was completely renovated since I made my reservation and its more of a luxury hotel now, so the front desk said that if I need stuff frozen beyond the capacity of the mini-fridge, they will be happy to help me with that. Woo!

I'm glad you worked it out. Although you don't need to freeze it as it will keep in the fridge for 5-7 days (freezing is ideal though). Also will you pump during the break of the bar (can you walk back to your room?)

It seems like you are taking a 3 day bar so is it CA? One other tip I would pass on is to bring your own food for lunch and if you can, walk back to your hotel and eat and pump; your stomach is nervous enough just taking the exam and taking a chance with outside food...not happenin'! Just my 2 cents. Then you can get some excercise, eat lunch, pump and clear your head for the afternoon session.

GL Mama you can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    I'm glad you worked it out. Although you don't need to freeze it as it will keep in the fridge for 5-7 days (freezing is ideal though). Also will you pump during the break of the bar (can you walk back to your room?)

It seems like you are taking a 3 day bar so is it CA? One other tip I would pass on is to bring your own food for lunch and if you can, walk back to your hotel and eat and pump; your stomach is nervous enough just taking the exam and taking a chance with outside food...not happenin'! Just my 2 cents. Then you can get some excercise, eat lunch, pump and clear your head for the afternoon session.

GL Mama you can do it!
    No, it is not CA; most states have a 3 day bar exam. I am taking the Ohio bar.

No, there is no walking back to the hotel. We only get an hour for lunch and it takes me at least 30 minutes to pump. They are giving me a room to pump during lunch, but they wouldn't give me any extra time at lunch. So then I wrote them a letter like, "Thanks for letting me pump at lunch. So now when do I eat lunch?" So then they said I was allowed to bring food into the exam room. Normally you are only allowed to bring water. And the testing sessions are about 3.5 hours long, which is a long time for me to go between pumping sessions.

It's going to be an ordeal, but I don't know what else there is to do.

Just a thought. . . you might want to avoid freezing the milk. Once EBM is frozen, it has to stay frozen. If it thaws at all, it must be used within 24 hours. So the safe bet is to refrigerate all of your milk, bring it home in a nicely chilled cooler (lots of ice packs) and then put it in the freezer.

Best of luck to you on the bar! You'll do great, and so will your LO. They're so resilient, those babies.
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!