Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: weening my 5 month old

Default Re: weening my 5 month old

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shannon75 View Post
    considering this is a breast feeding site, supported by funds given to promote breast feeding, this may be a difficult forum to find advice on formula feeding.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Another weaning tip- if you wean cold turkey in just one day or even just a couple of days, you may end up with engorgement, plugged ducts, or mastitis, not to mention some pretty wild hormonal swings, so it's better to wean slow and steady. You can try eliminating one feeding per day, waiting a day or two until your milk supply decreases to a comfortable level, and then eliminating another feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommabluejeannes View Post
    I don't know why you would feel you have to talk me into it more.
    It's nothing personal. We're really not trying to pressure you into changing your mind- just putting the information out there so that you have all you need to make the right decision. (And the right decision is the one that's right for you.)

I guess it's also that for most of us, breastfeeding is something we see as immensely valuable. So seeing your original post is kind of like seeing someone say "I have a 2008 Lexus with a flat tire- any advice on how to get it hauled off to the junkyard?" We just can't resist saying "But wait- that Lexus is still worth money!"
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am sorry you feel that you did not get the advice you are looking for. However, considering this is a breast feeding site, supported by funds given to promote breast feeding, this may be a difficult forum to find advice on formula feeding. Many of the woman on here had a really rough time establishing breast feeding, so their words and helpful hints (even if they are unwelcome) come from a place of giving. I am sure no harm was meant.

Another point I thought I'd mention is that breastfeeding is promoted by the American Academy of Family Physicians "The AAFP recommends that all babies, with rare exceptions, be breastfed and/or receive expressed human milk exclusively for the first six months of life. Breastfeeding should continue with the addition of complementary foods throughout the second half of the first year. Breastfeeding beyond the first year offers considerable benefits to both mother and child, and should continue as long as mutually desired. Family physicians should have the knowledge to promote, protect, and support breastfeeding." The American Academy of Pediatrics also recommends this. And the World Health Organization says "A recent review of evidence has shown that, on a population basis, exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months is the optimal way of feeding infants. Thereafter infants should receive complementary foods with continued breastfeeding up to 2 years of age or beyond."

You may know all of this already, but the people on this site understand the importance of breastfeeding as stated by these professional organizations. You've already gotten advice on weaning your son but I just wanted to add that it will be best for both of you to do it gradually. Good luck.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Have you tried this bottle? It uses suction and compression to simulate feeding like breastfeeding and it may help.
    To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves - there lies the great, singular power of self-respect. ~Joan Didion

I am sorry you feel that you did not get the advice you are looking for. However, considering this is a breast feeding site, supported by funds given to promote breast feeding, this may be a difficult forum to find advice on formula feeding. Many of the woman on here had a really rough time establishing breast feeding, so their words and helpful hints (even if they are unwelcome) come from a place of giving
    I couldn't agree more. Sorry that you feel like you are being pressured, but as Shannon mentioned, this is a site that is supported by funds to promote breastfeeding, it's hard to try and just tell you to wean and not mention the benefits of continuing to breastfeed. Don't take it personally.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!