Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weening my 5 month old

Default weening my 5 month old

Hi! I've been breastfeeding my son Justin, who is 5 months now. I also have 3.5 year old twins that are VERY busy kids. Justin doesn't sleep through the night yet, I still get up to feed him twice during the night. In the morning and throughout the day I find I am VERY tired and I find it really hard to keep up to the twins AND Justin, AND find the energy to do the regular household stuff. I have been giving weening a LOT of thought and have decided that now is the right time. We've been trying for the past week to give Justin a bottle of formula but he just won't take it. He screams and pushes away and it's just very frustrating. I breastfed the twins but the nurses at the hospital suggested that I should top them up with a bottle too so when it was time to ween them I had no problem. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to go about this. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: weening my 5 month old

I'm sorry you're so tired mama. I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 5 month old and I'm exhausted by the afternoon too. I'm wondering though why you think weaning your son is going to make you less tired? He will still probably get up during the night to eat. Maybe you could pump some of your breast milk once a day and have dad use that to feed him during the night to give you a break. He might take the bottle easier if it's your breast milk as it would at least be a familiar taste to him?
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

I have a feeling that Justin will be sleeping through the night if he is formula fed. My other two did by this time. I also want to ween him because it would free me up a LOT! I have tried pumping many times and I just have such a hard time with it. I feel that this is the right thing for me. I am definatly pro breastfeeding, but I also feel that there is nothing wrong with formula (although I know breastmilk is better, formula is very good too) and it's time for me to ween him. It's just the way I feel. So I would really appreciate help and advice with how to go about this.

I have a baby around your son's age and I would seriously consider the work involved in formula. THe preparing, the cleaning... "whipping it out" is much easier and if they aren't actually super hungry nothing goes to waste and there is never any clean up (except spit up which comes either way). Using formula could actually make your day more work and more stress and more complicated.

As far as the sleep situation goes - DD used to wake up 2 times to eat overnite but I noticed that one of the sessions was really short and that she was using me to fall back to sleep more than for nutrition. So I started offering her a pacifier during that feeding right around the time she turned 5 mos and sure enough she fell right back to sleep. Now she wakes up around 1am for the pacifier or a belly rub or some gentle words and once again between 4-6am to eat. At that point I bring her in bed with me so I can lay down while she eats and get some rest and cuddles until we wake up for the day at 7. I am MUCH better rested since starting this. HTH
    I'm Melissa, DD (01/12/2009) weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years

I'm sorry you are feeling this way. It can be really difficult.

The previous poster mentioned that even though you may give him formula - he may not sleep through the night. My daughter was almost 2 before she slept through the night and my son was only about 8 months. I think it varies so much for children. So, it may be that he will continue to wake up.

If co-sleeping is something you are interested, it makes nighttime feedings much easier. I got to were I never even fully woke up for the feedings. There are lots of options to conitnue nursing.

I also thinking pumping and getting him used to having your milk through a bottle is a good way to introduce the bottle. Sometimes the bottle will have to come from someone else (like your husband).

At 10 mos my SIL decided she was ready to wean and started giving my nephew bottles. He hated the bottles and cried non-stop. After about a week I think he gave in and started taking the bottles. It was a very long and exhausting week for everyone.

I'm sorry you are feeling this way.

You may want to try weaning from the breast very gradually: offering bottles that are all breastmilk first, and then bottles that are breastmilk plus a taste of formula, and then bottles that are half and half, and so on until your baby will take a 100% formula bottle. That way you may avoid a lot of crying and upset resulting from your baby reacting negatively to the unfamiliar taste of pure formula. Also, if you find that formula does not make your baby sleep through, you can go back to nursing (if you so desire).

You also may want to read Elizabeth Pantley's book The No-Cry Sleep Solution, which is full of gentle ways to get a baby to sleep longer and more independently, techniques that work for both breast and bottle-fed babies.

It sounds like you are really determined to be done with breastfeeding, but because this is LLL I'd feel remiss if I didn't give you the hard sell for continuing to nurse. I know the sleepless nights are driving you nuts, and it must be incredibly frustrating and exhausting trying to mother a demanding nursling and active preschooler twins. But while continuing to nurse may make your life more challenging today, in the long run I am convinced that it can make a mom's life easier. Here's why:
    - No bottles to wash.
    - It's free. (It costs around $1500-$2000 for a year's worth of formula. If you continue to nurse, you could justifiably claim a portion of that money for yourself and buy some very nice diamond earrings. )
    - Lower incidence of ear infections and diarrhea. I know being up at night with a nursing baby is tough, but it beats being up at night with a sick baby.
    - Breastmilk is always clean and at the right temperature- you can't run out, and you never have to listen to your baby scream while you warm up a bottle.
    - Breastfeeding doesn't have to be all or nothing: many moms combine formula-feeding and breastfeeding to fit their schedules.
    - Breastfeeding becomes much faster and easier as time goes on, especially after you introduce solid foods.
    - Breastfeeding isn't just food: it's comfort, too. It can soothe your baby through vaccinations and bumps on the head when he's learning to walk. It can turn a temper tantrum into a sweet mood in a heartbeat.
    - Need I mention that breastfeeding isn't just good for your baby's health, but for yours, as well? (Breastfeeding moms have less breast cancer, osteoporosis, diabetes, obesity, and heart disease, and the benefits accrue proportionate to the amount of time you nurse.)

Okay, that concludes the hard sell!

Whatever you choose, congratulations on 5 months of nursing! That's a terrific accomplishment!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

ITA with all PPs. DD1 was only on BM for two months, and she didn't sleep through the night until 3. I hated waking up in the middle of the night to make a bottle or two or three. Now, with DD2, we cosleep (we didn't before I found out about how much easier it is to nurse while cosleeping) and I barely wake in the night and I'm so much more rested.

I think it varies from child to child and just because your others did, doesn't mean that it will be the case with your 5mo old.
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

Thank you very much to those who actually gave me advice on weening! I really appreciate it!

To the others, all Im looking for is advice on how to ween. I know how much work is involved with making bottles, I did it for my twins for almost a year. Much MORE work than with 1 baby! I don't need to be talked into breastfeeding still, my personal opinion is that I am finished with breastfeeding, I enjoyed it while it lasted and now Im finished. I don't know why you would feel you have to talk me into it more. I have no problem making bottles, I have a dishwasher to clean them and a husband to help me make them. This is not the issue anyway...the issue is how to ween. Please all Im asking for is how to ween, please don't try to talk me into breastfeeding still!

I agree that trying to pump your milk for the bottles is a better way to start, rather than just putting in formula. Then later try mixing your bm with some formula and gradually increasing the amount of formula. You may also need to use different types of formulas to get one your LO likes.

You may also need to try several different types of bottles/nipples/ and flows with the nipples for your LO. Each kid can be so picky!

I also agree that your DH or someone else needs to be giving the bottles with you not around. The LO is used to you and will want you first if you are around, not the bottle.

Unfortunately, this may be a difficult time since your LO is in the beginning stages of teething. Patience and time may be needed!

And I also want to say for bf'ing this long!
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommabluejeannes View Post
    Thank you very much to those who actually gave me advice on weening! I really appreciate it!

To the others, all Im looking for is advice on how to ween. I know how much work is involved with making bottles, I did it for my twins for almost a year. Much MORE work than with 1 baby! I don't need to be talked into breastfeeding still, my personal opinion is that I am finished with breastfeeding, I enjoyed it while it lasted and now Im finished. I don't know why you would feel you have to talk me into it more. I have no problem making bottles, I have a dishwasher to clean them and a husband to help me make them. This is not the issue anyway...the issue is how to ween. Please all Im asking for is how to ween, please don't try to talk me into breastfeeding still!
    I am sorry you feel that you did not get the advice you are looking for. However, considering this is a breast feeding site, supported by funds given to promote breast feeding, this may be a difficult forum to find advice on formula feeding. Many of the woman on here had a really rough time establishing breast feeding, so their words and helpful hints (even if they are unwelcome) come from a place of giving. I am sure no harm was meant.