Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can milk just disappear?!

Default Can milk just disappear?!

I have always had a semi low milk supply. DS is a slow gainer and even now at 18mo he doesn't eat solids very well. He is constantly moving and never stops even when nursing, he wiggles and kicks and stands.

2 weeks ago he got Hand, Foot and Mouth and went on a short strike, about 3 days. I have also been trying to lose weight by eating healthier, low fat, more veggies and swimming laps. Could these two things have lowered my supply?

But now my milk is at almost zero! His wet diapers are not as wet as before. I am worried he will now lose weight which he just can't really afford.

I have been eating tons of oatmeal and drinking tons of water. I haven't been sleeping well. He nurses the usual times, all night long, morning at wakeing, mid morning, at nap, mid afternoon and then to sleep. But not getting much I can tell.

What happend to my milk and how do I help get it going again?
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Default Re: Can milk just disappear?!

Are you losing more than a pound or two a week? Any quicker and it can affect your milk.

Don't drink tons of water, that hurts too. Only drink to thirst.

You could try fenugreek too.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I haven't lost ANY weight! That's frusterating too. But right now I don't really care I just want to get the supply back up. I had trouble losing any weight with DS1 too. I actually gained weight while BFing with DS1 and didn't lose any until I weaned though I was always walking and ate a vegetarian diet.

I haven't tried any suppliments. I don't like to take anything unless I'm sure it's safe. I don't even like to take Advil unless I am in real pain!

Why does drinking too much water hurt?

I live in TX, it's 104 degrees and I don't drink sodas or coffee or anything else. I exercise about 45 min 5 times/week. I drink about 100oz a day and before I lost the supply this time I could tell a big difference if I didn't eat enough or drink plenty of water in the amount of milk I made daily. I have always been a big water drinker though. I don't have any medical conditions.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

What’s the rule about drinking water when you’re breastfeeding? It’s the same rule for everyone, breastfeeding or not: drink enough to satisfy thirst. Drinking any more than that can actually decrease your milk supply! One study showed that consuming 25 percent more fluids than the “drink to thirst” recommendation led to a decrease in milk supply. I also learned from lactation consultant Linda Wieser at the LLL area conference that drinking more than 80 ounces of water per day can reduce a woman’s potassium levels and have a negative impact on milk supply.

Whole article source

__________________________________________________ ______________

At 18 months *I* personally would not jump through hoops to increase my my milk supply. At that point, focusing on solids and water consumption for your child is fine. You can use nursing for comfort and enjoyment, try not to stress too much over it. My child went on strike after 18 months for about 10 days... he does it when he gets a common cold and can't breathe. I always watched my milk supply go way down, but it always returned when it was demanded again.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Thanks for the info! I nursed DS1 until he was 4 and never heard about too much water effecting supply.

Is it just water or fluids in general?

I don't plan on weaning DS2 until he is ready. I don't want a low supply to facilitate that so I am concerned with building my supply.

DS2 isn't really great at eating solids or drinking milk yet and I'm concerned about his weight. Doc said that since he's barely gained since he was about 10 months that we would "have to look into it" at his 2 yo check up if he hadn't gained some by then. This is why I think it's better to up supply even though he is a toddler. I'd really like to nurse till he's done whenever that might be.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*proudmamaof3 View Post
    DS2 isn't really great at eating solids or drinking milk yet and I'm concerned about his weight. Doc said that since he's barely gained since he was about 10 months that we would "have to look into it" at his 2 yo check up if he hadn't gained some by then. This is why I think it's better to up supply even though he is a toddler. I'd really like to nurse till he's done whenever that might be.
    Ahhh gotcha. That makes sense.

You also said in your first post that you weren't sleeping well, that can also hurt milk production too. Any way you could get a little more rest?

If you're not sure about taking any kind of supplements, would you be willing to try the Mother's Milk tea? I *think* that it has all of the supply boosters, but they are at a much diluted level than taking a supplement.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I'm gonna really try to work on getting more rest. I have a home daycare with 3 daycare kids all in diapers and 3 kids of my own, my DS2 is 18 months, DS1 is 11 and DD is 15. The older ones are on Summer Vacation and I am trying to keep up with their schedules! Phew! Trying to fit in exercising too is daunting but it makes me feel better so I keep it up!

I am going to go buy the Mother's Tea this weekend and see how it works for me. Do you know the amount you are supposed to drink? I heard it's till your urine smells like maple syrup is that right? Have you ever used it? How long does it take to "kick in"?

I am also working on trying to get DS2 to eat. Everything ends up on the floor and then when he gets out of the highchair he wants to "nur-nur nur-nur" as he says. I also need to give him vitamin drops in juice daily b/c he was very anemic at his 9 mo check up and though it has gone back to normal the doc suggested we keep up a daily multi since he's such a picky eater.

It's hard food wise over here. My DS1 is very overweight. I try to keep him busy, we don't have video games, no soda, no processed foods except goldfish crackers. He does Kung Fu and plays with his friends daily, goes swimming. We have lots of baked chicken and salad. Then there is DS2 who needs the higher caloric foods like whole fat cheeses, yogurt and milk and if DS1 sees them he wants them or sneaks them. We are in counseling with
    DS1 too.

Yeah, I'm exhausted. Thanks for all the help and support today, I'll keep you informed on how the tea goes.

I've also been doing breast compressions and only getting one short let down at each feeding. Hope supply picks up soon!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF

You ARE so busy! I hope you get the rest you need.

I did try the tea and didn't notice much difference, I don't think I drank enough though. Just follow the directions on the box. I had much better luck w/ fenugreek and that is the stuff you take until you smell like syrup.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Ahhh, OK I'll try fenugreek next. I have only taken the tea 3X today so we'll see...no difference yet.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate having you to talk to about this. Just now DS2 was nursing and nursing in bed to sleep and he just wasn't getting anything poor guy! After a while we just got up and got him a snack b/c really, it was bugging me that there was nothing there.

I'm just baffled by this b/c with DS1 I had a huge over supply. I just expected the same but this time it's been totally different!

LO did eat a huge dinner at the local greek restrauant though...most I've ever seen him eat, he had gyro meat, steamed broccoli, pita, hummus, feta and tried some falafel. That's good to see!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF