Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Why is one breast fuller all the time

Question Why is one breast fuller all the time

Hi there. I'm new to this breastfeeding thing. Well I tried breastfeeding my son which only lasted 5 weeks, so when my daughter was born this time I was totally sticking with it. We are now 6 weeks in and I'm wondering why my right breast seems to make more milk and stay fuller throughout the day? I wouldn't complain it just makes my boobs look lopsided. Any helpful advice?

Default Re: Why is one breast fuller all the time

Welcome and congratulations on the new baby!

It's very normal for a mom to have one breast that makes more milk than the other. When that leads to a troublesome lopsidedness, there are a couple of things you can try:
    - Start all or most feedings on the smaller side. Babies tend to nurse more aggressively and empty the breast more thoroughly at the beginning of a feeding, leading to increased production.
    - Alternate sides as usual, but pump the smaller side after feedings to boost production on that side.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Nothing to worry about. My left breast makes more than my right. I typically get about 1 - 1 1/2 oz when pumping from the right, and between 1 1/2 - 3 oz from the left (10 minutes each).
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

I'm the same way. I always get 6 oz right now...4.5 from my right breast and 1.5 from the left. My left breast has never produced as much milk with any of my children.

I'm the same too. I've heard that your production is higher on your "dominant" side; meaning if you are left-handed, you will produce more milk on the left breast.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jennybecca View Post
    I'm the same too. I've heard that your production is higher on your "dominant" side; meaning if you are left-handed, you will produce more milk on the left breast.
    Wow - I never heard that....
    I always chalked up my right making more than my left because when we co-sleep, he always latches on to the right breast, since I sleep on my left side (make sense??) So I figured it just 'produced more - 'cause it was used more'!!

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

Well - I'm left-handed and I get way more from my left side. Hmmmm . . .