Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to start solids?

Default How to start solids?

He's thriving on BM (6 months & 23 lbs), and from a previous thread I don't think I want to do cereal because I'm afraid of constipation issues. I'm also worried that my milk supply will decrease. He isn't interested in my food yet. Does not sit without support. The Dr. said if I don't introduce solids to him now it will be a problem later. My goal if he's willing is a year +. Any suggestions? Do I feed him 3 times a day, or once ...I don't know?
    Last edited by @llli*joshua.smom; June 26th, 2009 at 07:52 AM.
    First time mom to baby Joshua (12/19/2008, 6lbs-0oz, 19 inches)
    I have no what I'm doing, but I'm doing my best
    I'm STILL at work, when I'm home, and .

We've made it 14 months .

Default Re: How to start solids?

In the 1st year you give solids after nursing not before so it shouldn't hurt your supply as long as you are not going overboard which it sounds like you wont be.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...olids-how.html

Many things can be given as first foods, I started with mashed banana and never gave cereal with DS1 but when my DS2 is ready I am thinking I'll do cereal this time because of the iron content.

I too thought to try to wait until after a year for solids but at the advice of my ped I started around 6 months. I waited 3-4 days before introducing different foods so I'd give banana 1x/day for 4 days, then I switched to carrots 1x/day for 4 days etc. My baby was way older before I gave more than one food at a time.

It takes them a while to get used to different textures and if waiting too long for the introduction this has been associated with oral aversion (where babies don't want anything of different textures) and it can be difficult.

Good luck.

Also if you wanted to try cereal sometime you could make it using bm and make it runny.

I suggest you wait until your child is showing the signs of readiness. Especially if he's not sitting up unassisted, that can be a choking hazard. Our babies don't always fit into the age/development/growth patterns the docs want them to.

Breastfed babies work really well with baby led solids. If you're interested here's a great article about it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*csan View Post
    In the 1st year you give solids after nursing not before so it shouldn't hurt your supply as long as you are not going overboard which it sounds like you wont be.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...olids-how.html

Many things can be given as first foods, I started with mashed banana and never gave cereal with DS1 but when my DS2 is ready I am thinking I'll do cereal this time because of the iron content.

I too thought to try to wait until after a year for solids but at the advice of my ped I started around 6 months. I waited 3-4 days before introducing different foods so I'd give banana 1x/day for 4 days, then I switched to carrots 1x/day for 4 days etc. My baby was way older before I gave more than one food at a time.

It takes them a while to get used to different textures and if waiting too long for the introduction this has been associated with oral aversion (where babies don't want anything of different textures) and it can be difficult.

Good luck.
    What time of day did you offer the banana? What other foods would you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I suggest you wait until your child is showing the signs of readiness. Especially if he's not sitting up unassisted, that can be a choking hazard. Our babies don't always fit into the age/development/growth patterns the docs want them to.

Breastfed babies work really well with baby led solids. If you're interested here's a great article about it.
    I read the article, thanks. In this approach I just let him decide what he wants and how much?

Well, you let him choose from what you offer him. In the beginning you pretty much have to decide what he's eating, but you do let him decide whether he wants to eat and if so, how much. The main difference is that you would be offering foods he can feed himself rather than cereals or purees that you would be spooning into his mouth. In that case, it is extra important that he be showing the signs of readiness prior to starting. Especially being able to pick things up himself, no tongue thrust reflex, and sitting up.

I loved it, it worked really well with my daughter and I hope to go that route this time with my son, but it doesn't work for every mom.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

We offered new foods early in the day (say mid-morning) in case DS had any sort of reaction.

Baby led solids - yes, offer baby foods and let him/ her self-feed. Baby decides what and how much he/she wants to eat. That's it. Very simple!

Some early foods we did with BLS: banana, avocado, pear (very ripe with skin cut off), sweet potato
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I totally agree with pp's who advised waiting til he's really ready and then letting him feed himself. Baby led solids is really a natural extension of breastfeeding. When we breastfeed our babies, they decide when they eat, how quickly, how much, and when to stop. And it's a really good skill for them to learn - listening to their body's cues about hunger. When it really seems like your little one is ready for food (and I really think you'll know when that is better than your doctor will), sit him on your lap or in a high chair and put safe options in front of him. Let him explore them. He may or may not eat, but you're feeding him really well with bm, so whether or not he eats the food is pretty immaterial. We used baked sweet potato that we cut up into sticks, bananas cut into strips, chunks of pears, organic puffed rice and puffed millet. I forget what else. Basically, we tried to choose foods that he could gag on but not choke on, and to allow him to pick them up and eat them if he chose or play with them if he chose.

Oh, and we tried at 6 months, and he wasn't ready. He didn't really start eating food every day until he was maybe 9-10 months, and even then, it was only once a day.

Good luck, and have fun!
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    I totally agree with pp's who advised waiting til he's really ready and then letting him feed himself. Baby led solids is really a natural extension of breastfeeding. When we breastfeed our babies, they decide when they eat, how quickly, how much, and when to stop. And it's a really good skill for them to learn - listening to their body's cues about hunger. When it really seems like your little one is ready for food (and I really think you'll know when that is better than your doctor will), sit him on your lap or in a high chair and put safe options in front of him. Let him explore them. He may or may not eat, but you're feeding him really well with bm, so whether or not he eats the food is pretty immaterial. We used baked sweet potato that we cut up into sticks, bananas cut into strips, chunks of pears, organic puffed rice and puffed millet. I forget what else. Basically, we tried to choose foods that he could gag on but not choke on, and to allow him to pick them up and eat them if he chose or play with them if he chose.

Oh, and we tried at 6 months, and he wasn't ready. He didn't really start eating food every day until he was maybe 9-10 months, and even then, it was only once a day.

Good luck, and have fun!
    Thanks so much, sometimes after a dr.s visit I start to second guess whether I'm doing the right thing, His 6 month check up was Wednesday. When he sits up better and shows some interest I will let him decide. I still think at 23lbs at 6 months he's not missing anything.