Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tofu

Default Tofu

I know a lot of people give their LO's tofu. How do you give it to them and what kind? We were out for Japanese a few weeks ago and DD LOVED the little tofu cubes in the miso soup. I bought some firm tofu, but I don't really know what to do with it! I saw a recipe on wholesometoddlerfood.com for breaded and baked tofu? Has anyone tried it? I personally don't like the texture, is there any way I can make it that I might like to eat it too?
    Thanks
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Default Re: Tofu

Tofu is a great baby food! If your baby will eat it plain, just cut firm or extra-firm tofu into small cubes for her. That's really the healthiest way to eat it- no extra fat or sodium needed. You can add a dash of soy sauce or ketchup if your baby will prefer it that way.

You can also blend soft or silken tofu into babyfood purees or smoothies.

You might like baked tofu:

1 package extra-firm tofu
    2 tblsp olive oil
    2 tblsp soy sauce
    1/2 tsp curry powder
    1/2 tsp garlic powder

Cut tofu into 1 in x 1 in cubes, and place in 9 in x 9 in baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and soy sauce. Sprinkle with garlic and curry powder. Shake dish slightly to mix ingredients. Bake at 375 for about 1 hour, or until tofu begins to look golden-brown and the liquid at the bottom of the dish has evaporated.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I get the "extra firm" kind and cut it into small cubes for DS. If you want to make it firmer, boil it for 5-8 minutes. You can also marinate it for flavor, but DS has never needed that.

If you want a "chewier" texture, drain the tofu, put it in the freezer for at least 2 days, and thaw it (either in the fridge or the microwave). It keeps all of the nutrients, but loses most of its water, so it's a) chewier/meatier and b) soaks up much more marinade/flavoring. I love to use frozen (thawed) tofu in stirfry, with a little ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and whatever veggies I have in the house, served over brown rice.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thank you so much for the tips!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I think the key to being able to enjoy tofu is NOT to try to sub it in for meat but just rather enjoy it as a different kind of protein. We Fry it up and serve it over rice here. And we like the Thai flavored kind from TJ. AS long As I am just eating fried tofu to eat it, I'm cool. But I can't eat it while it's pretending to be meat. Is doesn't work for me in that way and I think alot of people get turned off to it in that way.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    I think the key to being able to enjoy tofu is NOT to try to sub it in for meat but just rather enjoy it as a different kind of protein. We Fry it up and serve it over rice here. And we like the Thai flavored kind from TJ. AS long As I am just eating fried tofu to eat it, I'm cool. But I can't eat it while it's pretending to be meat. Is doesn't work for me in that way and I think alot of people get turned off to it in that way.
    This is exactly how I've explained it to DH when I cook with it. If you're expecting it to be meat you will be disappointed. You just have to take it for what it is - something different. No expectations. Then you won't be setting yourself up for disappointment.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

How old were your little one's when you started using tofu? We eat a vegetarian lifestyle here and I wasn't sure exactly how I was going to ensure my baby was going to get all his protein. However, I know many parents that do feed meat don't start until the baby is one. Is that the same for using tofu or have you started earlier?

JME, I plan to avoid all possible allergens until 12 months. Soy included. Lots of people will introduce it at 8 or 10 months, though.

TOFU
    Nursed for 18 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*isaiahsmommy View Post
    How old were your little one's when you started using tofu? We eat a vegetarian lifestyle here and I wasn't sure exactly how I was going to ensure my baby was going to get all his protein. However, I know many parents that do feed meat don't start until the baby is one. Is that the same for using tofu or have you started earlier?
    I introduced it at around 9 months. But some people do wait since soy is a high allergen. As for protein you don't need to worry about it while your child is still nursing. Solids before the age of one are for the purpose of experimenting with new tastes and textures. They continue to get all the protein and nutrients they need from your breastmilk until then.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*isaiahsmommy View Post
    We introduced it about 9mo. DS's favorite protein source (intro'd pretty early) is still sprouted beans, though. (Not "bean sprouts" like you get at the store.) We use the EasySprout sprouter - super-easy and super-yummy. His current faves are lentils and garbanzos/chickpeas.

You can actually make lentils without a sprouter, and it's really easy!
    • put dry lentils in a bowl with warm water (1 part lentils to 3 parts water)
    • let sit overnight, or at least 8 hours
    • drain in colander
    • cover top of colander with damp cloth
    • let sit for approximately 10 hours, or until sprouts are at least 1/4" long (this will be quicker in warm weather, and slower in the winter)
    Refrigerate, and eat within 3 days OR if you want to keep them up to a week, refrigerate, sprinkle with a little water every day, and eat within a week.

Great snack food!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png