Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vitamins?

Default Vitamins?

So I was reading on kellymom and she says "Vitamin and mineral supplements are not necessary for the average healthy, full-term breastfed baby during the first year." My question is what about after one?

I was giving her poly-vi-sol for a little bit when she was little because the dr. told me she needed Vit D. and Iron (bc BF babies don't get enough from mama ), but then I did my research and found she didn't really need the vitamins at that time. Plus, she HATED taking them. Do any of you have any good resources to say when they NEED to start taking them? We had her iron level checked at 9months and it was fine. and I'm confident she gets enough sun exposure (but not too much!). Also any suggestions of good, tasty vitamins would be appreciated. Does she need extra iron now? Thanks!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Default Re: Vitamins?

How much BM is she getting now?

If you're not sure about her iron, you can have it tested in the pedi's office very quickly. We have DS's done every time.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

She's probably nursing about 6-8 times a day!

How does your ped test the iron? Because when DD had hers tested @ 9 months it was a terrible, traumatizing experience for her and me! They pricked her finger and then proceeded to scrape it and try and collect the blood in a vile that had to be about 2 inches long and as thick as a regular blood vile that I would have a blood test done in. She was screaming and I was trying to hold her and there was blood all over the place! I made them stop after 5 minutes of this!!!! And then they were complaining that they didn't collect enough blood and telling me to just hold her down because if I don't I will have to take her to get a vain stick and that would be worse. I don't want to go through that again. They were trying to test her iron & lead levels. She's not giving me any reason to worry about her iron, she's happy, growing, developing fine.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

we didn't start giving DS vitamins until after 1 year. we use the Little Critters brand (no allergens).
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    She's probably nursing about 6-8 times a day!

How does your ped test the iron? Because when DD had hers tested @ 9 months it was a terrible, traumatizing experience for her and me! They pricked her finger and then proceeded to scrape it and try and collect the blood in a vile that had to be about 2 inches long and as thick as a regular blood vile that I would have a blood test done in. She was screaming and I was trying to hold her and there was blood all over the place! I made them stop after 5 minutes of this!!!! And then they were complaining that they didn't collect enough blood and telling me to just hold her down because if I don't I will have to take her to get a vain stick and that would be worse. I don't want to go through that again. They were trying to test her iron & lead levels. She's not giving me any reason to worry about her iron, she's happy, growing, developing fine.
    Logan was anemic for a short amount of time, finally corrected by solids. They check him w/ a big toe prick and they only squeeze out one drop. It sucks but it's very quick. I bet your DD had to give more blood since it was iron and lead. OH and I was actually shocked he was anemic, I didn't see that coming at all. He didn't have any signs of it either.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09