Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not enough milk

Unhappy not enough milk

My son is 4 weeks old and we have had a difficult time breastfeeding. After he was born, breastfeeding was great until I developed yeast on my breast and he had thrush. I was not able to nurse him due to the alot of pain when he nursed. My toes curled when he nursed and my breast felt like they were on fire. I am now trying to nurse him again and it is very hard. He will latch on and most of the time he will get very fussy and pull and clinch at my breast. Now I am try to get him to latch on,he latches on sometimes about 5-15 minutes on each breast, then I give him a bottle of pumped breastfeed and sometimes I have to supplement with formula, he drinks about 2 1/2-3oz of milk every 2 hours. When I pump, I usually get about 1 1/2-3oz total. I am open to any advice. I need help. I want to increase my milk supply so I can give my baby on breast milk. THANKS

Default Re: not enough milk

How long did you go without nursing? Did you pump during that time or just feed formula?

Pumping does not yield the amount of milk you have in the breast as the baby is always better at removing the milk.

What are you doing currently to increase supply? Are you nursing on demand? Are you supplmenting at this time? If so, you may want to look in to getting a supplemental nursing system so taht you can feed the baby with formula/ebm while still getting his stimulation. Also, pump in between feedings or whenever a bottle is used. Herbs can be helpful (More Milk Plus or Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle) or you can ask your OB for a script for Reglan or Domperidone. What kind of pump are you using? A hospital grade pump would be the best to help get supply up!

Sorry for so many questions, just trying to get a feel for the situation!

Good luck!

Question Re: not enough milk

Thanks for your reply. I am nursing on demand, sometimes my baby rejects the breast and I will try about 4-5 times to get him to latch on. When that fails, I give him a bottle of breast milk and I supplement with formula. He is taking in 3 0z and I can only pump 1 1/2-3 0z when I pump. After he is fed, I pump using a medela lactina hospital pump. We went without nursing for about 1 week and I just pumped when I had yeast. I am not into taking herbs to increase milk production. I will try the reglan to see it that helps with increasing production. I have tried different strategies the SNS, finger feeding and feeding with a syringe and nothing worked. My baby would get very fussy when I tried other artificial feeding except with feeding him from a bottle. My days are filled with breastfeeding, pumping, bottle-feeding. I have talked with several lactation nurses. I have reviewed dr. jack newman's website. I am ready to give up hope. I just don't understand why this happened to me. I breastfeed my other son who is 8 years old without any problems. Thanks for any advice. Do you know the recommended dosage for reglan or have any information on how it will increase prolactin/milk production?

Wellm, the recommendation is to start with herbs first and then if those don't work, try the meds.

Everytime you use a bottle whether with EBM or formula, your body is missing that stimulation. To make the SNS easier to use, tape the tube to the UNDERSIDE of the breast. This makes it easier to latch.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with some other advice...

Good luck!

thanks a bunch for all your advice. i"ll try to tape the tube under my breast.