Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Our weaning story

Default Our weaning story

Hi. I just wanted to share our story in case it helps others. I breastfed our oldest daughter throughout my entire pregnancy. At the beginning of pregnancy, she was 21 months old and nursing day and night very frequently (11 fast nursings a 24 hr period longer nursing to sleep and am feedings) and not doing solids well. She day weaned mainly on her own a few months later and started eating solids much better. At about 8 months pregnant, I decided to night wean b/c she was nursing so much at night (I'd tried a few months earlier but it didn't work). That was somewhat hard but we did it very gently and she nursed when the sun came up (a week of waking up extra early ensued). I enjoyed nursing her while pregnant b/c she still enjoyed it a lot and basically never got sick and was very healthy.
    I was open to tandem nursing but a little worried about it. I had read Adventures in Tandem Nursing and spoken with moms who are tandem nursing.
    At 38 weeks pregnant, she was down to 1 morning feeding a day and we began distracting her in the am if someone else was home (ie on the weekends). It ended up that our last nursing was 47 hours before I delivered our second daughter. I did not know it was our last at the time and have very happy memories of it. She crawled up from her bed onto ours with a huge smile and said "Can I have some "mama" and laughed and was so excited. We nursed. The next day she wanted to see her Grandma right away and didn't ask to nurse and the day after that I delivered. At the hospital she asked once but then got distracted before I could even answer. She asked a total of a few times since weaning but always got distracted on her own right away so it wasn't even like I was rejecting her although at that point I would have preferred not to tandem. Since she asked about having "mama" and I was becoming engorged, I pumped about 4 times for her and let her help. We talked about how the pumped milk was just for her and that her baby sister was helping the milk come out for her big sister. She asked for pumped milk a few times and I gave it to her letting her know that mommy made it special for her and pointing out that it was yummy being cold. Then she just stopped asking about it.

I feel that it was almost a natural weaning with some pushes from me (night weaning gently, some distraction) and it feels really good. She is almost 2.5 and her sister is 4 weeks. She's transitioned really well and has been happy for the most part.

Thanks for letting me share this story and maybe it will help esp the pumping idea. Right now with our baby, we're dealing with OALD/oversupply and yeast, and I had mastitis so it is fun to write something positive.

Jen

Default Re: Our weaning story

Congrats momma on the gentle weaning, that sounds perfect!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

thank you for sharing!

I really needed to hear your story and am in a similiar boat, only I still have around 11 weeks left of pg and wasn't sure how to handle the whole thing. I thought ds had weaned but lately he has been asking again! The pump idea is great! Thanks again!

Congrats on the new arrival
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Thanks!
    The pumping thing really helped although she was progressing well weaning-wise anyway. I pumped due to engorgement and then thought it would be a good way for her to feel included in the nursing without actually nursing. So the next time I pumped I included her. I even let her pump the handle (manual pump) and kept saying how this was just for her and that "toddlers like cold milk". She helped carry her milk to the fridge and we then made a big deal when she drank it. She only helped once and then I then pumped without her (late at night) and gave her "pumped milk" the next am. We only did this a few times and she kind of forgot about it.

Also, at that time, we switched her to whole milk (just for the last month and now is back to skim) and made a big deal about her whole milk just for her.

good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.
    Jen