Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weening to formula or cow's milk?!

Default Weening to formula or cow's milk?!

Hi all,

First, my celebration and a tremendous THANK YOU to this forum: my DS just turned one, and I have successfully (though at times painfully) EPed for a full year now! Hurray! I met my goal, and DS is a healthy, happy one-year-old

I looked at the "Just wondering" post from MommytoAC and I have a question that is similar but slightly different, so I'd love some additional feedback...

I am soon returning to work, and frankly, it's time to stop the pumping, so we're weening DS - and the question is to transition to formula then cow's milk, or go straight to cow's milk? DS is 2 months premature, so though a year, he's really only 10 months adjusted, and he is on medication for GERD. Because of the GERD, we're a bit behind on the food schedule. He does solid food, but he is still very reliant on the bottle (my milk), and many textures (like banana) make him gag. I also have suspected a mild dairy intolerance, though that hasn't been confirmed, so I'm hesitant to go to cow's milk fully though I'd rather be natural than chemical-based (i.e. cow's milk vs. formula).

We have two different doctors who have told us two different things: one said go ahead to cow's milk, the other said wait with cow's milk until 14 months.

I have a freezer full of my milk that should last about 3 weeks or so to help with these transitions....

Anyone out there with a similar situation that can give me some advice?!

As always, thanks in advance, and thanks for the GREAT support to help me make my goal of one year!

Default Re: Weening to formula or cow's milk?!

if you stop pumping but continue to nurse when you're home you may not have to go to formula OR cows milk. If you nurse 3-4 times in 24 hours you don't need any other form of milk.

If you are set to wean though, I would go formula then milk. Formula has added fat, vitimans, nutrients, etc.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Since your baby is only 10 months (adjusted) I would go with formula. You could probably go right to cow's milk, but there's no harm in using formula and there may be some benefit- cow's milk is relatively low in healthy sugars, but formula is closer to breastmilk in that respect.

Do you know if your baby will drink either cow's milk or formula? Some babies don't like the taste, so you may want to use your freezer full of milk slowly, gradually working your way from a taste of formula in the breastmilk to a 1/4 formula, 3/4 breastmilk bottle, to a 1/2 and 1/2 bottle and so forth.

Congratulations on a year of EP! Wow!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The prematurity has nothing to do with when you start things. That clock starts the moment that LO gut is introduced to milk, either formula or BM, and if he has had BM for 12 months then he is good.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    The prematurity has nothing to do with when you start things. That clock starts the moment that LO gut is introduced to milk, either formula or BM, and if he has had BM for 12 months then he is good.
    when it comes to gut maturity- but not entirely convinced when we're talking about brain development. The gut develops based on introduction of foods/pathogens/microbes/etc., so the sooner you start introducing the gut to those substances, the faster it matures. But the brain develops on a more set time-table, right? A premature baby's brain develops at the same rate a term baby's brain does, so a baby who is born, say, 2 months early reaches the calendar age of 1 year with a brain that's still 10 months old, and has the same physiological requirements that a term 10 month-old baby's brain has.

If breastmilk or a breastmilk substitute is important for brain development for the entirety of a term baby's first year, then I would think that it would be important to make sure that a premature baby gets breastmilk/breastmilk substitute for 52 weeks + (38-42 weeks - however many weeks gestation the baby was born at).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Good point about brain development.

Personally, if it were me and I wanted to wean to something other then BM, I would wait till the 14 months if you are concerned about brain development. That way it would keep you from having to supplement with a DHA of some sort, either in formula or an addition to CM.

I personally will not supplement with DHA due to how it is manufactured.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

I personally will not supplement with DHA due to how it is manufactured.
    How is it manufactured? And would you choose a fish oil instead?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

In a nutshell, it is grown in algae and fungus and then extracted with hexane, which is a highly volatile toxic gasoline byproduct used in oil refining. The claim is that there are only "negligible amounts" of hexane remaining in the supplement, but "negligible" equals "too much" for me.

There is good info here, and the CI has a class action lawsuit pending right now against organic food manufacturers and baby food for adding DHA to organic products.

Dr Hale and Dr Newman also do not recommend DHA supplements for mothers or children, and recommend getting it from natural sources.

Nursing and pregnant women are certainly encouraged to eat natural sources of DHA and alpha linolenic acid. Good sources include:

* cold water/oily fish and fish oils (e.g., salmon, mackerel, herring, tuna, sardines, anchovies); fresh fish is better, as freezing destroys some of the EFA; avoid consumption of fish that may be high in mercury
    * green leaves of plants, including phytoplankton and algae
    * some seeds and nuts (flax seeds, walnuts, canola, linseeds, pumpkin seeds)
    * some legumes (soy beans, Great Northern beans, kidney beans, navy beans)
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

In a nutshell, it is grown in algae and fungus and then extracted with hexane, which is a highly volatile toxic gasoline byproduct used in oil refining. The claim is that there are only "negligible amounts" of hexane remaining in the supplement, but "negligible" equals "too much" for me.

Thanks for the information!

Off to toss the bottle of Children's DHA in my fridge...

ETA: My bottle of Nordic Naturals Children's DHA lists as its ingredients purified arctic cod liver oil, d-alpha tocopherol derived from soy, natural strawberry flavor, rosemary extract. Sounds like it's a natural source of DHA. Putting it back in the fridge.
    Last edited by @llli*duckpond; June 24th, 2009 at 01:44 PM.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post

Thanks for the information!

Off to toss the bottle of Children's DHA in my fridge...
    Scary huh? The things they do and don't tell us?

And to the OP, is it possible for you to pump for at least a couple months at work?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel