Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constipation

Unhappy Constipation

Help! My 3.5 month old who usually has 1-2 BMs a day, hasn't had one all day yesterday and today. I know it's bothering him--he never complains and now he's fussy and straining and pushing. Is there anything I can do to help him? Thank you!!

Default Re: Constipation

Hi There!

It's quite normal for babies that age to start spacing out their bowel movements! Constipation is defined by the texture of the bowel movement (ie, hard, dry, formed) rather than by how often they go So if it's still fairly soft/liquid when he does go, he's not constipated and it's more likely that he's just going to start having them less frequently now.

You mention that he seems to be bothered by it. You can lay him on his back and gently push his legs like he's riding a bike to help him pass gas. Sometimes gently wiping around the anus during a diaper change can help stimulate things too. Some babies do well if they have something to push their feet against when they are trying to have a bowel movement.
    Hope that helps!
    Jen
    Last edited by LLL LactoJen; February 9th, 2006 at 05:46 PM.
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Thanks--so I guess by definition he's not necessarily constipated, but he's quite uncomfortable. Do you know how I can remedy this at all? I really appreciate it!

Oops, I just edited my former post to answer your other question. So look up! Sorry for the confusion!

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Hi there-- my son was only having BMs every 5 days or so...my pedi said this was completely normal... but when the period between BMs extended to 8 days, he suggested we try giving him a little gentle "prod" with a rectal thermometer-- it worked. But we had to get an old fashioned glass one (no mercury tho) as the digital ones were too short. Good luck!