Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 week old w/ constant gas

Exclamation 3 week old w/ constant gas

Hi, my poor little girl has got gas something aweful. It is mostly at feeding times and during the night. I tried an elimination diet of all dairy, nothing. Tried gas drops at every feeding for over a week, nothing. I am constantly burping... Her output is great, no problems there, and I'm not eating any gas inducing foods. Basically what's happening is she latches on and sucks, within 5 minutes shes curling up, grunting and fussing, turning red in the face. She then unlatches by pulling off my nipple, (ouch!) and then crys to get back on. At first we thought it was constipation, but it's not. I check and make sure her nasal passage is clear often, just in case. Nothing I'm doing is working. Her doc wants her to come back in 2 weeks if it's not improved so she can put her on Zantac?, but the last thing I want to do is give my little tiny infant prescription drugs!!!! How is that going to help her digestive system? It lowers the acids needed for digestion. Shheesh. I'm all out of ideas. I just want to make her better, it kills me to hear her grunting and fussing in the middle of the night. I feel helpless, does anyone have any ideas?
    I appriciate any advice, Gretchen

Default Re: 3 week old w/ constant gas

Do you seem to have a lot of milk?

Gretchen,
    Your baby is only 3 weeks old -- a full elimination diet of dairy would need to be at least 3 weeks long in order to eliminate it from your system. She could also be sensitive to something else in your diet that you haven't eliminated. However, most babies can tolerate mom's diet just fine so let's look for something more obvious.

As the above poster suggested, you could have an over-active let-down. Does baby gasp and choke once your milk starts to let down? When she pulls off the breast like she does, is your milk spraying? Have you tried pumping your breast until your milk let's down and then putting baby to the breast for nursing? If not, perhaps try that to see if it makes a difference in her behavior.

Check the allergy threads just to rule that out. And also LLCarol is right, an ED takes weeks for the food to get out of your body and dc. Also here is a link ( if I can do it right) www.drjaygordon.com he has a complete list of words that mean dairy or milk proteins. Check it out.