Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump more than baby eats

Default Pump more than baby eats

Hi there, I'm new and I have a question. My baby girl is not crazy about bottles but has agreed to eat from them when she is at the baby sitter's while I'm at work. She is there for about 10.5 hours four days a week and will only eat between 6 and 10 ounces of milk. I'm currently pumping three times a day and getting between 12 and 16 ounces of milk doing so. She's 8 months old and I don't think that she is going to suddenly increase the amount that she eats during the day, but I always send her with 12 ounces.

My questions are (1) does this mean that she eats 16 ounces or more during the day when she's with me and (2) should I drop a pumping or pump for less time and provide her less milk during the day? My freezer was full and I gave away a bunch of milk a week ago and I'm already starting to fill it back up again.

Thanks!
    Tracie

Default Re: Pump more than baby eats

I try to get her to nurse every two hours or so during the day when she's with me because I would like her to eat more during the day and less at night. I wish that she would eat more at the baby sitter's house, but she will only eat one to two ounces at a time and then she's done and will get very upset if the bottle is not removed from her sight when she is done eating.

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting her to eat more during the day? I am not willing to not nurse her at night when she wakes up, so I think it may not be possible.

!

It could be oversupply, or it could be that she's having just enough to quell her hunger and waiting for you. Does she nurse more in the mornings/evenings on the days you work? I have a friend whose DS did that - when they were together, he would nurse fairly regularly, but when she was at work he would only eat a little and would feast when they got home.

If her output (wets/dirty diapers) is good, I wouldn't worry, as long as you are offering the breast freely when you two are together.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

She definitely nurses more frequently in the evenings after she is at the babysitter's house. I love nursing her, but it's hard to have only 30 minutes a day with my husband the four days I work

I know she's eating enough overall - I just wish she would eat a bit more during the day when we're apart.

My DS only takes about 9-10 oz (on Friday only 7!) while I'm at work, and I'm gone from 8-5:30 every day. I actually enjoy our time together in the evenings, event though it seems like I'm nursing constantly. I don't know that there's any way to encourage your LO to take more during the day, because she obviously likes mama best! I look at it this way - at least it's not the opposite problem, and she starts liking the bottle more than you and refuses to nurse. I know this happened to a few friends after they returned to work, and it's something I've dreaded happening. Keep donating your extra milk - there are so many needy babies out there that can really benefit from it.
    Love my baby boy born 3/5/2009
    Earn gift cards and prizes with Swagbucks!

Is she getting any solids - I am guessing that, at 8 months, she is having solids introduced to her diet as part of the weaning process.

If this is the case then she won't need quite as much breastmilk as she did before as she will be starting to get nourishment from other sources.

If not then I expect she prefers to get her main feeds of the day directly from her mummy - and who can blame her :-) and simply gets by on bottles during the day.

She hasn't really gone for the solids yet. She'll eat more at the babysitter's than she will at home - maybe an ounce a day. At home I can get her to eat a couple baby spoon fulls. She has a very sensitive gag reflex and so she can't eat anything that's not pureed yet. I'm hoping soon she will be able to eat things that she can pick up herself - I suspect that she will be more into it when she's doing it herself.

In the meantime I've looked into milkshare and will look for someone to give the milk too. I hate to think of it going bad in the freezer.