Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rash on Chin - food allergy?

Default Rash on Chin - food allergy?

My 5 month old has been eating solids for a few weeks now. We've introduced each food one at a time with at least 3 days in between a new introduction. He get no formula and nurses a ton.

He had carrots for the first time last week and pears for the first time yesterday. Yesterday (can't remember if this was before the pears) he developed a few red bumps on his chin. They sort of fade then come back, esp. after being outside in this hot-as-Hades Texas summer.

Could it be a general heat rash? We wash his face after eating, so I doubt it's leftover food stuffs on his chin. The only other "new" thing is his poop. The past few weeks he's had nice solid little turds. Yesterday he had a rather large and mushy poop explosion.

Any ideas on what the rash could be?
    ----------------
    First-time mother to baby Ian born January 17th, 2009; 9lbs 2oz; 21 inches; all natural birth experience
    My Blog: www.life-with-ian.blogspot.com

BF'ing for 14 months
    At Home:
    At Work:

Default Re: Rash on Chin - food allergy?

Is your lo teething? Sometimes the drool causes a rash on the chin. FWIW dd had a few rashy spots on her chin yesterday that we assumed were drool or heat or both
    I'm Melissa, DD (01/12/2009) weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ap9981 View Post
    Is your lo teething? Sometimes the drool causes a rash on the chin. FWIW dd had a few rashy spots on her chin yesterday that we assumed were drool or heat or both
    Drool rashes are very common if your LO drools a lot. It is common for babies to get some constipation when starting solids, so that doesn't sound like an allergy symptom. We had to stop the solids and add them back in slowly again because DS had some pellet poo.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

My almost 5 month old also has that same rash. He is teething and along with the drool I have noticed that he sucks his bottom lip alop. I think that all plays into it.

My 5 1/2 month old has the same thing... but also gets some red bumps on his upper chest when we're outside and he gets too hot... we're in hot and humid Atlanta. So it could be drool, but could also be prickly heat... especially if you said it comes and goes when you go inside. I would think if it was a food allergy it would come and stay until you stopped that particular food.

Pears and banana can cause constipation, and sometimes after that clears the diapers are much runnier as the system is cleaning out.

If it is just a few spots on the chin after being in the heat, I'd guess it was more drool or heat related. I'm also a Texan, lived in Dallas for years and now am further south where it is even more humid. DD got the prickly heat rashes on her face and chest constantly during the summer months. I'd strip her down to the diaper and make sure and wipe off all the sweaty areas well. That would help cull the rash.

*Most* food allergy rashes that develop around the mouth happen pretty quickly after eating and do not generally clear up until hours/days later if you do not put meds on it. (Thas is if you also end the offending food.)
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

I agree with pp that it is prolly a teething/drool related rash. DS1 had a rash like that for his entire first summer, but he also used a paci and I think that caused alot of it too! We switched to a different soother and it cleared up in a few days.
    Married to the best since 08/03!
    WR-08/06/07 8lbs6oz ebf 8months!
    GS-09/02/09 10lbs2ozs naturally!
    Goal 1 year!!