Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: growth question?? Looking for assurance

Default growth question?? Looking for assurance

OK, so my DS2 is little. I'm little (5'2"), my husband is pretty tall (5'10") but there are shorter men on both sides of the family.

The reason that I am writing is that at DS 18mo check up he had hardly gained any weight since turning 1. Just about 1.5 lbs. But he grew 3 inches.

He is talking up a storm, our ped was impressed and said he was at a 2yo level already. But she seemed a little concerned about his weight and mentioned that we might have to look into it if he hadn't gained better by his 2yo check up. He is active (very!) and happy. He started walking at 9 months and hasn't stopped for a minute. He mostly runs every where now!

I know he is not as little as some babies but I'm wondering if I should be concerned that his weight has leveled out some even though his height is gaining. It seems to me that means that he is OK b/c he not only gained a little but also grew a pretty good amount and kept his weight through the height growth kwim?

He's a picky eater in that he eats more some days than others. I bf him on demand still which is 3 to 4 times a day and all night but my milk has decreased over time for some reason. Especially since he had Hand Foot and Mouth last week and went on a 3 day strike. My breasts don't get full and I don't feel much let down or hear gulping.

So, to try and summarize my babble, is there reason to be concerned if he's good developmentally and grew 3in. in 6 months? I hate those darn charts that make us second guess this stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Default Re: growth question?? Looking for assurance

1.5 lbs in six months at that age sounds good to me. Besides, was he weighed after being sick and not eating? That can impact weight.

Yeah, it was during the time he had Hand Foot and Mouth. I was going to cancel the well child but they told me it was OK to bring him anyway. When I weighed him at home before he got sick he was 24 lbs and at the doc's he was 23. His height was 31.5 in and his head was 49 cm.

I checked some websites and he seems to be in the 25th percentile in all areas, weight, height and head circumference. He has hovered between the 50th and 25th his whole life.

My DH says it is silly to be concerned b/c DS2 looks proportionate, eats, drinks, has wet/poopy diapers, plays, naps all normally. But what my doc said about needing to look into it if he hasn't gained more by 2 is weighing on my mind.

Does anyone know if it is normal to grow in height and not gain much weight?
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

If it helps, your Dr didn't say he was worried now - just that if it continued it would need looking into. I think these things are cyclical and they have different growth spurts at different times - sometimes they put on weight sometimes they get tall. It is all about where they are in their cycle when they go to the Drs office.

Our ped is great and has a couple of times been the one reassuring me that very little weight gain is normal - because he is sooo.verrrry.ACTIVE. And right after an illness...You don't need to worry until you have more than one visit like that (and even then - just a minor worry)

FWIW - I would be right where you are if they told me that. I know you can't just not worry. You are a mom and that's what we do but...
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

with pps, and I wanted to add that yes, height and weight growth don't necessarily go together. For instance: my sisters and I always grew sideways and then up, so we looked normal-butterball(although muscly not jiggly)-skeleton-normal.... Never a problem, even though we zigged all over the charts, except for my last growth spurt as a teen (and even then the problem was only mental re the butterball bit).
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thanks so much! I wish somehow they could get rid of those charts or if they have to keep them then don't show them to me!! It just makes me obsess over what is and isn't going into DS2's mouth and I think that effects him! I'm going to try and relax but I have to admit I'm weighing him everyday on our digital bathroom scale!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF