Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Short nursing time

Default Short nursing time

I'm concerned b/c my 9 week old daughter nurses for an average of 7 minutes a feeding. When she is groggy/sleepy during the night or early morning I am thrilled b/c she nurses for about 10 minutes. However, during the day she might only nurse for 5 minutes (on one side) before pulling off or crying. [Tonight it was only 3 minutes after a 2 hour time period since the last nursing session.] Early on she was latched on and nursing for a good 20-30 minutes.

If she fuses or stops nursing, I try and burp her and then re-position or offer the other side. As soon as I put her back down toward the breast she begins to cry intensely and refuses to continue nursing. How do I know if she is finished or if there is another problem? She is gaining weight and has wet diapers, but now only has 1-2 "dirty" diapers during a 24 hour period. I have tried multiple holds, nursing in motion, having my husband hold her and nothing really seems to help her get back to the breast. My husband is quite worried that she is not getting enough to eat and is quick to suggest a bottle to ensure she is receiving enough milk. It kills me when we end up giving her a bottle b/c I'm worried she might prefer that over me. After the short nursing session tonight she continued to cry and after her offered a bottle she was content. When this situation occurs, it seems quite obvious that she was not really full after nursing for only 3 minutes as she quickly sucked down 3 ounces from the bottle.

I understand infants become more efficient, but at 2 months it seems quite early to be that good. In addition, if she still takes in multiple ounces from a bottle after a short nursing attempt I wonder if she is getting enough from me. I hope this message was not too confusing, I will happily heed any advice.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Default Re: Short nursing time

Welcome to the forum!

Since your baby is making good diapers (it's normal for pooping to slow down as the baby gets older and her digestive system matures) and gaining weight, there's no need to worry about her milk intake. Your new mantra should be "good output = good input".

Some babies become efficient nursers fairly early on, and 9 weeks is not too early for this to happen. However, it's possible that what is going on- the short feeds, the crying at the breast- are related to something like OALD. You mentioned that your baby nurses for longer during the night- are you nursing her lying down at during that time? If so, using a side-lying position may slow the flow of milk and make it more manageable, so if OALD is a problem for you, you could try side-lying feeds during the day and see how it goes.

My husband is quite worried that she is not getting enough to eat and is quick to suggest a bottle to ensure she is receiving enough milk. It kills me when we end up giving her a bottle b/c I'm worried she might prefer that over me. After the short nursing session tonight she continued to cry and after her offered a bottle she was content. When this situation occurs, it seems quite obvious that she was not really full after nursing for only 3 minutes as she quickly sucked down 3 ounces from the bottle.
    Okay, so remember that new mantra? Use it on your husband. "Honey, good output = good input, put that darn bottle away."

It's totally normal for a baby to suck down a large amount of milk from a bottle even after a good nursing session. It's really easy to get milk from a bottle compared to the breast, which leads many babies to eat until they are absolutely stuffed to the gills. At the breast, the baby needs to suck for milk to come out. With the bottle, all she needs to do is lay there and the fluid will drip-drip-drip into her mouth, after which she needs to swallow or she's going to choke.

You sound really frustrated with the way things are going, but I don't think you should feel that way. It sounds like you are doing a great job! Hang in there and come back to the forum with any questions. This is a great place to get support.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

PP gave you really great advice and info already. I just wanted to say I had the same concern and had my baby weighed before and after a feed. At only a few weeks, he was taking in plenty in less than 5 mins!
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

Just wanted to give you another "comparison" or boost in your self-confidence. My LO is 16 weeks now and since about 8 weeks she has only been nursing one side for less than 10 minutes each time. She goes about 2 hours in between feedings. Let me also mention, this does not change at all when she drinks a 4 ounce bottle at DC AND she has almost tripled her birth weight from 5 lbs 2 oz to 14 pounds! I think I read another post a while back where the title was "Turbo Nurser"! That's my baby and many others! Keep the faith and remember that very good line "good output means good input"
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

Smile Re: Short nursing time

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Since your baby is making good diapers (it's normal for pooping to slow down as the baby gets older and her digestive system matures) and gaining weight, there's no need to worry about her milk intake. Your new mantra should be "good output = good input".

Some babies become efficient nursers fairly early on, and 9 weeks is not too early for this to happen. However, it's possible that what is going on- the short feeds, the crying at the breast- are related to something like OALD. You mentioned that your baby nurses for longer during the night- are you nursing her lying down at during that time? If so, using a side-lying position may slow the flow of milk and make it more manageable, so if OALD is a problem for you, you could try side-lying feeds during the day and see how it goes.

Sidelying definately helped a TON with LO and I...it seemed to "cure" our "over active let down" issues we were having also..which often times accompanies Oversupply! there's lots of good information on this site (not sure if this is the same link or not)
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html link or not)
    And obviously LL has great info as well!
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html
    KIT let us know how it goes! It just SOUNDS like it cooould be these issues because of the fact that he takes a bottle okay, ya know? GOODluck!!
    P.S. If it is one or both of these things...it definatelly passes and quick! There are some simple ways to make it easier and even out your supply.
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

with pps. You've received some great advice from the other mamas. Just wanted to chime in and say it sounds like you're doing great. Since your LO is having enough wet and poopy diapers, she's definitely getting enough and there's no need for the bottles!
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and