Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clogged duct?

Default Clogged duct?

I have a 5 1/2 week old that I've been exclusively breastfeeding. About 2 hours ago, my right breast started feeling really engorged and painful. There is a hard lump in the bottom part of my breast. I tried pumping 2 ounces from that breast and it has relieved none of the pain. It's still really hard and seems to hurt even more. I'm going to feed my daughter in a bit after I take a shower to relieve some of the pressure.

I was wearing an underwire nursing bra; could that have contributed to it?

Does this sound like clogged ducts? If so, what do I do about it?
    Mama to baby Sunshine, May 14, 2009
    Successfully BFed until DD was 14 months old (while I was pregnant) and she decided she didn't like the taste of the milk anymore.

New mama to my Earth baby boy, January 31, 2011. Going for at least another 14 months or more!

Default Re: Clogged duct?

Definitely sounds like a clogged duct, and yes, for some women underwire bras can contribute to getting clogs.

This page covers treatment for clogs very nicely.

Hope you feel better soon! And stay alert for any symptoms of mastitis- fever, chills, flu-like symptoms, worsening pain, or a reddened area or red streaks on the skin of the affected breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Definitely sounds like a clogged duct, and yes, for some women underwire bras can contribute to getting clogs.

This page covers treatment for clogs very nicely.

Hope you feel better soon! And stay alert for any symptoms of mastitis- fever, chills, flu-like symptoms, worsening pain, or a reddened area or red streaks on the skin of the affected breast.

Yeah, what she said.
    I would like to add massage the area as you nurse or pump, but that page prolly says that.

Thanks; the link helped. I think I'll keep pumping and massaging while pumping, and feed her from the left side and a little at the right also. I really hope it doesn't turn into mastitis!!

It does say that, but I read somewhere else that I need to change nursing positions. However, I have a really hard time with other nursing positions because I've done cradle since she was born. It's comfy for us! It's kind of hard to switch when it's been working for 5 1/2 weeks. That link didn't say it would help to switch positions, so can I keep rockin' the cradle position?

Also, what if I can't unclog it? Does it unclog all of the sudden, or does it unclog over time?
    Mama to baby Sunshine, May 14, 2009
    Successfully BFed until DD was 14 months old (while I was pregnant) and she decided she didn't like the taste of the milk anymore.

New mama to my Earth baby boy, January 31, 2011. Going for at least another 14 months or more!

with mommal, and usually the ducts I have had clogged -unclog all of a sudden...like I massage the clog out and milk sprays out a little. The one other time that was different was when I kept offering DS the clogged side and he got it unclogged, but he pulled off really quickly with a surprised look on his face (he was like 16 mos at the time) and spit out the clog which looked like glue (sorry TMI and gross buy interesting to me)

Have you tried nursing while laying down? This page give some position suggestions

It certainly can't hurt to vary your nursing position, but if cradle is the only thing that works for you don't worry too much about this issue.
    Does it unclog all of the sudden, or does it unclog over time?
    It may unclog all of a sudden, producing a powerful spray of milk, or it may unclog a bit at a time: I had a few plugged ducts that would get fluctuate over time, shrinking after nursing and then filling back up.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"