Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RSV & Synagis

Default RSV & Synagis

Does anyone have any experience with RSV and/or Synagis? I'm wondering what the risk facors are and whether I should allow my 33 week Preemie to receive Synagis. I have done the research, so I already know what the "textbooks" have to say, but I would love to hear from someone who has personally had a history with either. Thank you!

Default Re: RSV & Synagis

My 28 weeker received one dose of Synagis while in the NICU. He experienced no problems whatsoever from the Synagis vaccine. He was also recently approved by our insurance for another round this RSV season, and I will likewise protect him.

Shortly after leaving the NICU, we rushed to the pediatric emergency room because my preemie was having frequent apneas. The ER doc told me I was lucky that he only had the flu and not RSV. We proceeded to spend two more weeks in the PICU battling death more precariously than we did for the past several months in the NICU.

Let me tell you that the NICU was a walk in the park compare to having a severely ill baby in the PICU. They said that the RSV vaccine he received probably saved his life.

By all means, get your baby the Synagis vaccine. I know of full term healthy kids who have been hospitalized with RSV. It is passed around by most adults and school aged kids as a severe cold, so its likely that an immune deficient preemie will catch it. It is a very scary and easily preventable illness.

We have been through so much with our preemie, and I think we owe him every protection possible this winter. Good luck!

happytobeme

Quote Originally Posted by kst7399
    Does anyone have any experience with RSV and/or Synagis? I'm wondering what the risk facors are and whether I should allow my 33 week Preemie to receive Synagis. I have done the research, so I already know what the "textbooks" have to say, but I would love to hear from someone who has personally had a history with either. Thank you!

My daughter recieved the synagis shot from Oct. 05 - March 06. It was well worth it due to she had many hospital stays in that time and was exposed to RSV due to that's all that's in the hospital then and she never got it. For a preemie, the risk of getting RSV can be deadly. Synagis is a lab created protein that your LO would have recieved at week 36 if he/she would have stayed in that long from you. As far as side effects, we didn't have any and no one told us about any of them. I would do it all over again if need to be.

Thank you Marcie and happytobeme. I really appreciate you sharing your stories and helping convince me to do it. It's so hard to make health decisions about a Preemie when everyone else that you know has full term babies. You watch their children make it through illness and think it wasn't fun, but they survived without problem. I need to continue to hear stories - like yours happytobeme - to remind myself that, although she looks it, my baby is not a "normal healthy" baby. Yes she's doing great and we have had no problems, but that doesn't mean that she is out of the woods. We need to continue to be diligent about taking care that she does not get sick because her immune system is not as strong as a full term baby and can't handle it. I never wanted to me one of those moms who would worry about colds and go crazy keeping everything germ free - I truly believe that children need to be exposed to germs to build up immunities - however, my baby is not ready for that and she can't handle it. Thank you for that reminder. I hope you two make it through this season episode free.

I echo what the pp have said. My son was 5 weeks early, but had absolutely no problems because of his preterm birth. The trouble came at 7 weeks later when he developed liver failure for some reason that was never determined. Because he was intubated while in the NICU, he qualified for Synagis. If your health insurance will pay for it (It is about $2300 a shot), I highly recommend getting the monthly injections. RSV is a tough, tough virus to shake and any baby that has had respiratory issues, either by virtue of a premature birth or an early hospitalization, is at a much greater risk for serious complications as a result of RSV.

Quote Originally Posted by kst7399
    Thank you Marcie and happytobeme. I really appreciate you sharing your stories and helping convince me to do it. It's so hard to make health decisions about a Preemie when everyone else that you know has full term babies. You watch their children make it through illness and think it wasn't fun, but they survived without problem. I need to continue to hear stories - like yours happytobeme - to remind myself that, although she looks it, my baby is not a "normal healthy" baby. Yes she's doing great and we have had no problems, but that doesn't mean that she is out of the woods. We need to continue to be diligent about taking care that she does not get sick because her immune system is not as strong as a full term baby and can't handle it. I never wanted to me one of those moms who would worry about colds and go crazy keeping everything germ free - I truly believe that children need to be exposed to germs to build up immunities - however, my baby is not ready for that and she can't handle it. Thank you for that reminder. I hope you two make it through this season episode free.
    I thought the same thing about the germ free, I'm not a germ-a-phobic....I carry around sanatizing wipes everywhere and if Madeline can touch it (like a high chair at a restaurant and table, grocery buggie, etc...) it gets sanatized first. I just don't want to take any risks, even though she is about to be a year old, I think it's just become a habit. Also, another thing that will drive you crazy, and almost every mom with a preemie can testify to, you also cannot compair their development with full term babies. My husband just realized that last night. We were at a neighbors house and their 9 month old grandson was over there. He can wave bye bye, say da da, ma ma, keetee (kitty), and a few other things as well as he is advanced in crawling a lot better than Madeline is. She just started crawling a few weeks ago and can only say da da. He looked at me and said how he didn't realize how delayed she really was and I had to remind him that you cannot compare her to a full term healthy baby. She was premature and has had some health issues. He then realized why her physical thearpy and occupational thearpy was really needed. (She also will not eat foods, exclusivly breastfed, and we saw that 9 month old put away 3 jars of baby food, he was also formula fed though...). It clicked with him, finally. It drove me nuts for a long time and I had to come to terms with it that you cannot compare babies, period, every one of them will do it in their own time. I know this is off subject, but I felt it was important. I am glad you decided to get the synagis shot!!!!

My little one was not a preemie, he was born at 39 weeks exactly. He was only BF for 3 weeks due to my concern about not producing enough milk. He got RSV when he was 7 months old and spent about 36 hours in the hospital. I can assure you that you want no part of a child w/RSV. I had to hold my son down while the respiratory therapist stuck a tube up his nose and down his throat to suck out the mucous that he didn't know how to blow out or cough out. No mother should ever have to do that. I would definitely get the Synagis shot! In fact, the following fall, I asked my pediatrician about synagis, but he said that our son didn't qualify since he wasn't a preemie--I would have done it in a second if I could have paid for it!
    Krista
    Wife to Barney
    Mommy to Justin Reed
    Mommy to Ada Grace (7-7-06) 7 lbs 14 oz, 20 lbs 14 oz at 1 year

Our little Angel, Henry James, grew his wings December 14, 2007

Quote Originally Posted by justin's mama
    My little one was not a preemie, he was born at 39 weeks exactly. He was only BF for 3 weeks due to my concern about not producing enough milk. He got RSV when he was 7 months old and spent about 36 hours in the hospital. I can assure you that you want no part of a child w/RSV. I had to hold my son down while the respiratory therapist stuck a tube up his nose and down his throat to suck out the mucous that he didn't know how to blow out or cough out. No mother should ever have to do that. I would definitely get the Synagis shot! In fact, the following fall, I asked my pediatrician about synagis, but he said that our son didn't qualify since he wasn't a preemie--I would have done it in a second if I could have paid for it!
    It's not a vaccine, it's a human protien that your son recieved from you due to he stayed in for 39 weeks (it gets transfered to the baby I believe in week 36 if I remember correctly). If your son has already had RSV then his immune system is already built up to it and the shot will not do anything for him. My nephew was a preemie and caught RSV in the NICU, at 4 weeks old, since he survived it (in isolation, he was moved to the PICU then) he did not qualify for the shot afterwards due to his body was already built up to fight it if he caught it again. Also, most all babies catch RSV before the age of 2, it's the first few months that it can cause extream damage, after that, it's like a cold for you or me (this is for healthy babies, it can be deadly for preemies or babies with heart/lung problems, and some other health issues).

My DD who was born at 39 weeks, full term, got RSV at 3 months. Her older sister had what we thought was a bad cold and despite trying to keep them seperate, she got it. I took her to the ER when she was retracting. I didn't know at the time just how sick she was. We spent 10 days in the hospital, she lived in a bubble the first few. The meds they gave her were horrible, it was the most terrifing time in my life. If you have the chance to help your baby not get this horrible sickness, I would say go for it. She gets lung infections very easy now, but some day will out grow it!

I know you have had lots of response to your post but I can't help adding my own. I am a very proud Mama to a 28wk DD and a 36wk DS. I firmly believe that parents should work hard to be strong advocates for their children. Having to make a choice about medications and immunizations can be difficult especially for a tiny baby ( mine were 2 1/2 and 5 lbs) I chose to have my daughter receive Synagis her first winter. I will say the shots are no picnic. My DH always hid in the waiting room. I agree with much of the previous posts. RSV is everywhere and we all get it but RSV in a preemie can be devastating to their immature bodies and immune systems. I wish you a safe and healthy RSV season.