Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Infant Vitamins

Default Infant Vitamins

Hello,

DS is 3MO, healthy weight, and EBF. The pediatrician told me I need to start giving him infant vitamins. I havn't been doing this because I thought he gets everything he needs from breastmilk. I take pre-natal vitamins and iron supplements. Does everyone else give infant vitamins on top of this? If so, which ones do you use? I read that the vitamins can stain teeth as they come in. Are there any dye-free vitamins that you recommend?

Thank you!

Default Re: Infant Vitamins

At 3 months old, extra vitamins are just insurance. You don't need to give them. Breastmilk does have everything your baby needs. Formula, on the other hand, has more vitamins/minerals than required- and docs who are accustomed to formula-fed babies often get worried that sufficient is somehow deficient.

Around 6 months, some breastfed babies start to run low on iron, but a simple blood test for anemia can elucidate whether or not a baby has become anemic.

If your baby has dark skin and lives in a higher latitude, or is light-skinned but only rarely exposed to sunshine sans sunblock, a vitamin D supplement may be a good idea. But in general, as long as your baby gets around 15 minutes of direct sun per day, there's probably no need for vitamin D, either.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Infant Vitamins

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    But in general, as long as your baby gets around 15 minutes of direct sun per day, there's probably no need for vitamin D, either.
    Thank you! That's good to know, he does get out in a sun a little bit each day so I will not give him vitamins now.
    I'm Brooklyn, Mom to Cort Evan, born March 12th, 2009.

EBF since day one!

8lbs 7oz: Birth
    10lbs 6oz: One Month
    12lbs 7oz: Two Months
    13lbs 10oz: Three Months
    17lbs 4oz: Four Months
    18 lbs 14 oz: Five Months
    19 lbs 15 oz: Six Months
    21 lbs 9 oz: Eight Months