Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing strike!

Default nursing strike!

Hi,

I am new to this board so I hope you don't mind me dropping in! I have an 11month old who has been ex bfd for the first 6 months when I then began weaning him. He has recently started bitting me and I yelped a couple of days ago and think this may well be why he is now on a nursing strike!

I have had some great support from a LLL person and wondered if there are any stories out there that can help me through this rough patch? I really don't want to end breast feeding this way and would give anything to have my little man feeding again. It's so upsetting for him and me that it has come to an abrupt halt!

I am trying all the skin to skin, bathing together and being relaxed and offering him the breast without forcing (obviously).....is there anything else? I have let him watch other babies feed and let me watch me express. we have tried other nursing positions and places.......

very greatful for any help...........

thanks,
    girlontheseesaw

Default Re: nursing strike!

My DD went on a nursing strike here about a month ago, refused to nurse for 2 days. My local LLL leader told me to try a few diffrent things....what worked for us was a combo, both of us in a warm bath together and to rub the top of her gums firmly, the combo got her to latch back on. Good Luck to you.

This is a timely thread--we are currently struggling through a nursing strike of our own, one of many, I might add.

I really don't know what to suggest--skin to skin, bathing, nursing while tired, etc. I am really frustrated--but it happens a lot to us, thanks to bad advice from nurses and LCs early on.

If anyone has anything profound, i will be anxiously awaiting too!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Maybe try offering to nurse when your son is sleepy.

Hi girlontheseesaw,
    Welcome! Glad you've joined us.
    I'm not sure I've got anything new to add here, but here goes!

Nursing strikes can happen for lots of reasons: teething pain, ear infection, stuffy nose, regular distractions or interruptions while nursing, or an unusually long separation from mother. Sometimes, there may be situations or actions on the mother's part that contribute to a baby's refusal to nurse: a strong negative reaction to being bitten, a major change in routine such as moving or traveling, or overstimulation of baby while nursing.

No matter what the cause, a nursing strike is upsetting for everyone. The baby may be difficult to calm and unhappy. You might feel frustrated and upset and worry that your baby is rejecting you.

While you are trying to persuade your baby back to the breast, you'll want to make sure that you keep yourself comfortable. Ideally, you would pump about as often as your baby had been nursing, if she is indeed not taking the breast at all for several days.

Try to keep in mind, this could all be over in a day or two. Take it one hour at a time.

The following suggestions have helped many mothers overcome a nursing strike:

* Try nursing when the baby is asleep or very sleepy.
    * Vary nursing positions
    * Nurse when in motion
    * Give the baby extra attention and skin to skin contact.
    * Hold the baby in a sling or baby carrier between attempts to nurse.
    * Take a warm bath together.
    * Sleep together, giving baby easy access to the breast while sleeping.

My ds had a nursing strike for 5 days at 11 months, btw. It was brought on by illness and cleared up when he started to feel better. But it was very stressful. I was so worried the whole time. Hang in there and keep us posted, OK?

Mary

thank you everyone for your help..................my LO definately seems to be reacting to my reaction to being bitten, as he keeps putting my nipple in his mouth and bitting and watching me to see if I react. i found this quite encouraging, so I keep calm and hope he'll feel comfortable again.

I can't help but feel this is final. even though I have read storeis that people get through this, my LO is stubborn (like his mum apparently) and feel he's said goodbye to the boob he has also started sleeping through the night!? you'd think I'd be pleased but I'm not. he used to wake a couple if times at least for a feed but now nothing.

has anyone got any idea why this may be tied in with the nursing strike?

I'd give anything for him to feed again.

Quote Originally Posted by girlontheseesaw
    thank you everyone for your help..................my LO definately seems to be reacting to my reaction to being bitten, as he keeps putting my nipple in his mouth and bitting and watching me to see if I react. i found this quite encouraging, so I keep calm and hope he'll feel comfortable again.

I can't help but feel this is final. even though I have read storeis that people get through this, my LO is stubborn (like his mum apparently) and feel he's said goodbye to the boob he has also started sleeping through the night!? you'd think I'd be pleased but I'm not. he used to wake a couple if times at least for a feed but now nothing.

has anyone got any idea why this may be tied in with the nursing strike?

I'd give anything for him to feed again.
    You might find the last story on this page encouraging and helpful ...

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMarApr04p72.html

She had an 11 month old in a very similar situation as you and your little one. Yes, people do survive nursing strikes all the time ... me and my babe are proof of that, we've been through more than I can count! And several times it felt like the "end," yet I just did not give up - wasn't even an option. You just have to prove to be more stubborn than your little one! I also found this info helpful:

http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...striketips.asp

Have you tried nursing him during the day when he's drowsy or before/after/during naps? Or possibly when he's going to bed or waking up? That is what saved me and my babe and got us through strike after strike, she'd always nurse while sleepy/sleeping. Keep us updated and warmest wishes to you two!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Question Re: nursing strike!

seesaw....I know its been a while....what was your outcome, if you don't mind me asking. I wanted to respond to the concern about your negative response being bitten, yes I've heard that too but think it is an unfair generaliztion and encourag you to consider other reasons. My little one does cry if I yell out, but has never reefused to latch because of it. Plus I feel I have a right to yell if I'm bit! It is impotant for this to be a relationship....we've had our ups & downs but would hate for you to carry guilt if ended....you have given lo an amazing gift.

My DD went on a ten-day nursing strike when she was just turning 10 months old. At that point BM was about 90% of her diet. She had a really bad sore throat and just got scared of nursing. After about 5 days of NO nursing I finally got her to nurse when she was asleep. I would lay her in bed with me after she fell asleep with no shirt or bra on. After about 15 minutes she would stir a little bit and if I put my nipple in her mouth she would nurse. After about five days of nursing like that she finally came back to it full time and is still going strong at almost 14 months.

I remember bawling and crying SO much during that time. My milk supply dwindled and I got a much worse case of the same cold she had. The LC said that if she weren't breastfed that virus may have put her in the hospital!! My LC and LLL were very helpful during this time. Remember to keep pumping (double electric works the best) and hang in there. I thought it was over too but one day she was sitting on my lap and just latched right on! I never take her nursing for granted anymore!