Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! How to vacation away from nurser

Unhappy Help! How to vacation away from nurser

I am torn about how to handle leaving for a 4-day trip away one month from now, from DS#2, now 13 months-old He's a great nurser, at night especially, with 2 to 3 night wakes. He could care less about milk (mine or whole milk!) in a cup or bottle, since I've stayed home with him his 'whole life'. Please, please, please tell me he'll be alright while I'm gone, cuz' my first vacation away might be a bit miserable. He's staying home with DH and DS#1. Stacey

Default Re: Help! How to vacation away from nurser

Well, I don't have any experience in this, But, rest assured! He will be fine! Its you who might not be . I think its always harder for the mama! DH will be just fine with him (it will be a great bonding time for them!). Hope that helps

While I wasn't on vacation, I did have to make preperations for my son to be away from me for a few nights when I had surgery last March (ds was 10 mos) in case there were complications and I ended up having to stay over at the hospital (all went fine and I was with him within 6 hours of leaving him that morning! So we never had to use our plan). Anyway... the plan involved ds co-sleeping with daddy and a breast pad so he could smell me at night and my mother coming out to help dh distract ds. I was also to pump several times a day to keep my supply up. Perhaps you could make similar arrangements.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

My son is 13 months old and recently spent the night with Grandma. Once I was out of sight, he was fine. He even drank expressed milk from a cup, which I was unable to get him to do. Your son should be fine. Just make sure you pump to keep up your supply and prevent engorgement. Could you do a one-night trial in the next couple of weeks just to settle your mind?

I am going to try to not be the downer here....... My ds is 17 months and there is no way that he would stay away from me at night with out a fight. I am really sorry to tell you this but I want you to be prepared if your dc is like mine..... I know this bc he still nurses several times a night and while daddy can put him to bed he will not stand for daddy to soothe him in the night. Every child is different and every mom knows her baby best, so if you feel like your dc is going to be ok then he most likely will! LLL says that in the first years a baby has a very strong need to be with his mother. That being said I think that it is a tricky dance to give yourself a break and also respect the needs of your toddler. I would start to let your dh soothe him in the night and put him down for naps now so that when you do go away he will be more used to dh and not mommy all the time. Have a great vacation and aLLL the best! Brittan

Hi,

I don't have any tried-and-true tips for you, but I can share what we are doing to get ready for a business trip I have to take at the end of the month. My DS will be 13 months old, and I'll be away 4 days/3 nights. I've been incredibly worried about it, so much so that my DH might take a day off so that they could join me on the third day.

A couple of months ago we started taking the idea of a bedtime routine (besides nursing to sleep) seriously. We try to send various external signals to DS when it is time for sleep. Every night we turn the lights way down and turn off the loud toys. We offer soft toys and snuggle, and sometimes we play a country and western lullaby mix. DS falling alseep swaying to the music only happens about once or twice a week.

Once a week DH handles the whole bedtime by himself while I am off playing hockey. This wasn't planned as trip preparation but it helps.

My trip will take place before yours--remind me to post about how it goes! I hope this helps a little bit.

Hi! I'm getting many more replies than I thought I would and am so relieved at just the support and advice. Thank you all that have replied so soon, and for all that has been offered. A friend with a 3 week-old baby borrowed my Medela Pump-in-Style, but I may have to get it back to leave a little more than the 7oz. I have in the freezer Although he'll be fine w/o the actual 'momma milk', I'm getting the idea we're going to have to figure out the night-time routine so he can be happier when DH walks in to 'save' him in the middle of the night. Right now he screams bloody murder if he does and points to the door yelling 'Momma'. I really like the idea of doing a trial overnighter just to ease my mind. Thanks again, and anyone with more ideas is still welcome to offer it up!! Stacey

I would also make sure you pump while you are gone so that your supply is kept up!!!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi