Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frustrated...please help!

Default Frustrated...please help!

Okay, so I have OS and was told to nurse, then pump to drain the breast (b/c I had plugged ducts). But I have been reading on here that nursing then pumping can cause me to produce more milk (which I don't need). I also will be returing to work (I only work PT and will be gone for 4-5 hrs each evening)......so now I need to know when do I pump so he can have a bottle while I am at work w/o causing my supply to become worse. My son is 4 weeks old and I don't return to work until he is 7 weeks.

Also, I am going to do block feeding for 3 hrs on one breast, but I don't want more plugged ducts, so is it okay to pump the other side just to relieve the engorgment, so my ducts don't clog? Someone said to pump and try to pump less and less each time, so I eventually don't need to pump at all (is this true)?

Thanks for helping this frustrated and confused mom

Default Re: Frustrated...please help!

I should add that recently I was nursing on one side exclusively (to help remove the clogged duct) and was pumping on the other every 2-3 hrs. So every 2-3 hrs both breasts were getting drained. I did notice that it did take down my OS, but I am wondering is it setting me up for a bigger OS or should I continue to nurse on one side and pump the other every 3 hrs (and just build a supply)....I am just so scared, b/c I don't want to make my OS worse!