Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need a little emotional support

Unhappy need a little emotional support

My ds went through a rough patch where his teeth were bothering him so he really cut back on how much he would nurse for a couple weeks. He also became very distractable and his 20 minute sessions went to 10 minutes and finally he went on a full on nursing strike for about two days. Now I think my supply is really low. He nurses for a few minutes (about 3) and pops off and gets upset. I've started pumping sometimes after sessions, when I can, and also starting taking mothers milk tea. At night he usually nurses himself to sleep but lately he hasn't been able to because I think I run out of milk for him. Tonight he only nursed for 3 minutes on each side and when I finally got him to sleep I pumped and got maybe a table spoon from both sides combined. I'm stressed out and worried he's not getting enough to eat. I'm also exhausted because he's been night waking again since he doesn't get enough to eat during the day. I'm pretty sure I'm doing the right thing here it's just stressful and upsetting when you feel your baby isn't getting enough to eat and is going to sleep hungry.

Default Re: need a little emotional support

HI Momma - lots of for you...
    I know it's rough...But you are absolutely doing the right thing...You capture my story with DS, exactly.
    Keep up with your supply....Try to up pumping and always the sessions that were missed. I realized my DS would not go to sleep hungry but would nurse to satisfy himself...When we went through this we starting co-sleeping since I also was not getting enough rest....It really helped....Are you co-sleeping?

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

What makes you think your supply is low? How many wet and poopy diapers is he having in a 24 hour period?
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

we co sleep during the day for naps but not at night; dh is not into co-sleeping and even if I could talk him in to it he snores really loud and sleeps way to deep and fitfully to be able to have ds in bed, but thank you

ds has about 5 we diapers in 24 hour period but poops only once every 3-5 days, I believe my supply is low because he's really shortened his nursing sessions and he often stops, fusses, tries to nurse some more and fusses some more, it seems like he eventually gets frustrated ang gives up

How old is your LO? When babies get older, they usually become more efficient at the breast, so that's why he doesn't spend as long nursing. Maybe he's fussing because he just wants to comfort suck?
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

You have my attention and full sympathy.

My ds has been on a nursing strike for four days. (This is his second strike; the first one lasted only two days.) I am pretty positive that both strikes are related to teething - he has been cutting his upper front teeth. Today I finally got him on the breast after squirting him with some milk. He has nursed 3 times, but was unhappy each time with the amount received and has now downed (from a bottle) most of what I pumped during the strike.

So . . . I don't know if he's having a growth spurt, if I'm having a supply issue, or what ?????? I will continue trying to pump (which is fruitless unless I can get a letdown first!) and increase supply. He won't stay on the breast once the volume diminishes. He lets go and cries. I am hoping the 5 ounces of extra milk he took down before bed time carries him through the night. Before the strike, he was waking and nursing 2x/night.

Hang in there! You are not alone.

I haven't dealt with this [yet?], but I wanted to give you a and say .

ETA: I'm sure one of the mamas who has dealt with this successfully will chime in soon.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

*bump*
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

My LO is nursing normally again and I am thankful. He seems to be getting enough after ten days of pumping, pumping after nursing, and eating as much oatmeal as I could.

When his newest tooth finally broke through, I still had to "squirt" him in the face with milk to get him to latch on. For a couple of days, I had to continue to initiate the letdown before he would latch. (I did this by stroking the nipple; if you can't feel a letdown, you can judge letdown by when the milk starts flowing.)

Best wishes.