Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: whether to pump morning excess

Question whether to pump morning excess

Hi everyone,

OK, I asked before about stopping the nighttime pumping, so now I'll ask about what to do with all that extra milk in the morning. I've sometimes pumped it and added it to my frozen collection, but other days I've just left it there for the next feeding. What is the impact on my supply? How many of you out there whose babies don't each much at night pump your morning excess for reasons other than needing it for when you're away?

My supply is a little less than what DS wants these days (having been hit with mastitis shortly after stopping the nighttime pumping) and I've been using some of my frozen collection during the day, 3 oz times two usually. So if I pump, it will get used. But I'm lazy and don't necessarily want to spend my time pumping if he can just drink it during the next feeding. If milk is truly "use it or lose it," will I lose it?

Thanks!

I'm Marcy. On a mission to less and more, happily our since 12/28/08 and taking it one day at a time

Default Re: whether to pump morning excess

Well, if LO is 6mos old, I would say your supply is pretty well established...So missing a pumping session will regualate but will not affect your supply. Why do you feel that LO is not getting enough?
    I'm assuming you have excess milk after morning nursing - why would you think you don't have enough?

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

with the PP: at 6 months, your supply is probably quite well established and unless you are working outside the home, you probably don't need to worry about pumping so long as you are feeding on demand.

6 months is a common time for a growth spurt, so it's possible that the reason your baby seems dissatisfied with your supply is that he is trying to boost it with more frequent nursing. If that is the case, shelving the bottles, stopping the supplementing, and nursing as frequently as possible is probably the best and quickest way to boost your supply up to where your LO will be happy with it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I feel my supply is a little under because as feedings progress through the day, they get shorter and let-down takes longer. My baby gives me clear cues that he hasn't had enough, like finishing both breasts and continuing to cry. This doesn't happen for the first two feedings of the day, but does by the third or fourth.

In just the last two days I have resorted to pre-pumping myself to aid let-down before putting him to the breast; otherwise, if it's been less than two hours since the last feeding, let-down can take five minutes or more, and this is time he no longer has patience for while dry-sucking.

My supply would in theory be well established, except that three things have changed. One, my schedule is much different (as it has been for the last 6 weeks) than it was before. I teach at a college part-time, and when the semester ended the first week of May, I went from being out of the house 5 days a week for 5-6 hours and successfully pumping 5 ounces per 3 hours of away time, to suddenly being home all the time and ending up feeding shorter portions more often. Although everything I've read says this should increase my supply, I've found it to be a trap leading to slow let-down.

The second thing that changed was that, at his 4 mo check-up 4/28, his weight percentile had dropped significantly, leading me to re-evaluate the cues he was giving me. Previously, I thought, well he's still crying, but he can't be hungry because he just ate. In light of the weight gain slow-down, I started allowing myself to interpret the crying and fussing as hunger without regard to the clock. I also looked at him with new eyes and realized he went from chunky to lean. He also was backsliding on the nighttime sleeping. I know he's not starving, and his percentiles are still better than half the population, but the drop was a bit of a concern, and I've been trying to beef him up since then. OK, I'll admit it: he went from 90th to 50th in 2 months. My pedi said it was OK and she'd only be concerned if he dropped below 25th %ile by the 6 month, but I don't like the idea of him going hungry, and I didn't want him to reach that 25th level. So I started feeding him more often.

The third thing was the mastitis, which almost completely wiped out what was already my barely-working right breast. The left has been carrying much of the load, and now it has to do almost everything. I start every feeding on the weaker side, except the first one of the day because I want to minimize engorgement on the good side. I just finished my 10-day course of cephalexin yesterday, and the weak side is still pretty weak.

Today I didn't pump the morning excess, and he fell asleep during the 2nd feeding so he still didn't empty both breasts. However, for the third feeding he did finish both sides, which only took 2 minutes on the right and 4 minutes on the left, and then he happily took a 2 ounce bottle afterwards. It's been just over two hours since then, and he's giving the first signs that it's time to eat again.

I'm Marcy. On a mission to less and more, happily our since 12/28/08 and taking it one day at a time