Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Chocking Constantly

Default Chocking Constantly

I don't trust DD not to choke herself constantly. We are doing BLS for the most part (I say for the most part because she likes using the mesh feeder for watermelon), but overall she chokes herself every single time she eats something. She only gets solids once every couple of days but i'm wondering when she'll get to the point she she actually chews something or doesnt stick it as far down her throat as possible. She can sit on her own, she has great head control, doesn't push things out of her mouth, but she won't stop trying to push it all the way down her throat! Is she not ready for solids just yet?
    First time mom to Kalyna born December 14th 2008

Born: 7lbs 7oz
    Month 1: 8lbs
    Week 5: 8lbs 6oz
    Week 7: 9lbs 5oz
    Week 9: 10lbs 2.6oz
    Week 17: 14lbs 7oz

Nursing a 3.5 year old!
    Love , and

Default Re: Chocking Constantly

What kind of foods have you started giving her?
    I'm Shannon!
    Single, babywearing, barefoot in the grass mama to 3 wonderful babies!
    Abby 11-25-03
    Terry 9-29-06
    Kate 6-12-08
    and my Jack 11-17-02, gone to God at 11 weeks

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."

"I am going to be happy today, though the skies may be cloudy or gray. No matter what comes my way, I am going to be happy today."

Is she "choking" or "gagging"? because gagging is completely normal when learning how to eat solids (especially BLS). Choking however, means that there is no air intake and the child is turning blue. If the child IS choking, I would stop BLS. If it's just gagging (which I know can be vary scary ) I would continue to offer. Oh, and fwiw, vomiting is also par for the course with some children. I'm thinking it's probably gagging - since choking would involve you having to remove the food via physical intervention (modified heimlich etc.).

What foods are you offering? And what size pieces are you offering? I found that depending on the food I was offering the size was different. Foods that were hard like apples were offered whole (peeled in the beginning, but some parents don't peel it) because if it was round he couldn't bite off as much at one time. Foods like steamed pears were offered in bite sized pieces that my son would "rake" into his fist and jam into his mouth because with a long piece he would try to put the whole thing in his mouth and it scared me Baked or steamed sweet potato would often be offered in strips because it was so easy to chew that even if he put the whole thing in his mouth it was so mushy that he could still manage to chew it.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

We had the same problem if you mean gagging. DS has choked once on a cucumber but gags all the time. We found giving larger foods like a whole pear or a whole cucumber was better (we usually remove the skin). He would get smaller, easier to manage pieces off. We decided to take a break on the sweet potato fries since he gags so much we just couldn't relax during those dinners.
    DS 11/25/2008 until 27 months

Now DD born 2/13/2012

Wow I just realized I butchered the word CHOKING in the title of this thread!

Sorry I did mean gagging not choking (although she has choked before but not often).

So far she has had watermelon, sweet potatoes, pears, avocado, apples and canteloupe. I think it may be the shape. I read fry shaped was good but she seems to jam those down her throat too much so maybe rather then giving her apple or canteloupe slices i'll give her the entire thing, or a big peice. I let her chew on a big slice of canteloupe and she did just fine but as soon as I gave her a smaller one she's shoving it down her throat and gagging again.
    First time mom to Kalyna born December 14th 2008

Born: 7lbs 7oz
    Month 1: 8lbs
    Week 5: 8lbs 6oz
    Week 7: 9lbs 5oz
    Week 9: 10lbs 2.6oz
    Week 17: 14lbs 7oz

Nursing a 3.5 year old!
    Love , and

Yep, gagging is pretty normal until they get the hang of eating. CI still gags sometimes, but then again he's known for shoveling as much food as possible in his mouth . Just try giving smaller pieces of food (teeny, tiny), make sure it's as soft as possible and giving smaller serving sizes.
    Mommy to Mary Louise, born 6/28/05, Self weaned at 2 years and 2 months

Mommy to Craig Isaac, born February 16, 2008, Self weaned 3 years and 4 months
    parttime