Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping At Work-help!!!!!!

Default Pumping At Work-help!!!!!!

I Just Went Back To Work And Started Pumping While I'm Away From My Daughter, But Its Difficult Pumping Here Because I Dont Have An Office Or Somewhere Private Here In The Bldg. I Have To Go Behind The Building And Pump There.

I Pump At Around Noon An Then When I Get Home At Around 4:30(before Feeding Her), Oh I Also Pump Around 6am Right Before I Leave For Work(after Feeding Her).

I'm Just Not Sure If This Is Enough To Keep My Milk Coming, I'm Afraid This Might Stop It From Coming. Also, I Want To Skip The Pumping At Noon Because Of The Incovenience; Is It Possible?

I Need Your Advise.

Thanks.

Default Re: Pumping At Work-help!!!!!!

Can you talk to your boss about providing a more private spot? Your situation must be very uncomfortable, you are doing this outside? There must be some room in your building that has a lock on it that you could borrow. Maybe someone with an office, that you are friendly with can help. Generally you pump as many times as your child eats while at daycare. For me, he eats three times a day, so I pump at 9:30,12:30,3:00. This probably does not help, for you only want to pump once, but you may experience low supply if you go down to 1. Most suggest three a day.

Quote Originally Posted by minimi
    I Just Went Back To Work And Started Pumping While I'm Away From My Daughter, But Its Difficult Pumping Here Because I Dont Have An Office Or Somewhere Private Here In The Bldg. I Have To Go Behind The Building And Pump There.

I Pump At Around Noon An Then When I Get Home At Around 4:30(before Feeding Her), Oh I Also Pump Around 6am Right Before I Leave For Work(after Feeding Her).

I'm Just Not Sure If This Is Enough To Keep My Milk Coming, I'm Afraid This Might Stop It From Coming. Also, I Want To Skip The Pumping At Noon Because Of The Incovenience; Is It Possible?

I Need Your Advise.

Thanks.
    I have tried cutting back like you said and almost lost my supply all together. Now I am struggling to get it back. I have a 5 mo and still have to pump every two hours to try to get supply back up. I am very sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time with this. I hope it works itself out. Good luck, my thoughts are with you.

Behind the building, are you pumping outside? By law, in most states, the employer has to provide time to pump and I thought it was also a space to do it in and that is specifically not the restroom. Check the law in your state. (Try a google search maybe??) Can you pump in your car? My PIS has a converter that I can use in the battery plug of the car. Maybe this is an option. The more you can pump the better, if you stop pumping during the day, you will tend to not produce as much milk then and may not be able to keep up with your child's needs. You may need to add some extra pumps at home to keep up. Hang in there, you can get this resolved.

Try this site to research your state laws. I found it in another post...
    http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/breast50.htm

I can't imagine having to pump outside. I agree that you should investigate what your employer is required to do to help you. I have been pumping at work for 8mo. now and find that it is best to keep your supply up to pump 3 times a day. One thing that I found helpful (and may not help you now that you have a pump but I will mention anyway) is the whisperwear pump. My friend had one and let me borrow it. I bought a Medela which is really big and not very discreet. The whisperwear is hands free and you can actually stick it inside your bra. It can take batteries too so you have no cords at all which is really nice if you are in a spot that is public. No one will know you are pumping from a short distance away. I didn't like it at first because I found it difficult to latch on at first. But now I never use my Medella at all. I have used it while driving to/from work. My friend used to even use it during her lunch break in the breakroom. I know it is not the most ideal, but if your situation is unworkable otherwise I think it could help. I admire you for trying. I know how hard it is to go back to work to begin with, let alone not having a private place and support from your work. Hang in there!

Thank you all for your help.

I did speak to our office coordinator and she was able to find a supply room where i can pump, office space is very tight, and I tried it this morning but because i'm was unable to relax i pumped very little.

Oh, i forgot to mention that i pump outside our bldg but in my car and i'm thinking of continuing that just because i feel i can get away and not feel like everyone is listening when i pump.

Does any body think pumping twice a day is enough? i'm thinking of pumping at around 5:45 am and then at 12 noon and once i get home feed her non stop.

Thank you all, once again, for help, i really needed it.

I would say one more pump. But if your supply is good, then don't change. If it is dropping, I would add the extra pump in. Glad to hear you wern't pumping outdoors! I had to search for this post, I was hoping you would respond so I could get the picture out of my head of you in the back of a building, pumping outside.