Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wondering why....

Default Re: Wondering why....

It seems people judge more past one - they start to think of it as inappropriate?! It is unfortunate that people can be so close minded

If the relationship is healthy I agree to do CLW. I'm sure every mother will know what is best for them or will make adjustments when/where it's necessary..

"Children reinvent your world for you." Susan Sarandon

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    my doctor told me that breastmilk wasn't any good after one.

I agree with pp (and op) that nursing just seems to get sweeter after 1. It's a shame that our country/culture don't support extended bfing. In fact, even our language doesn't - why should nursing after 1 be "extended" - it should be normal!! Okay, I'm getting off of my now. I hope that you keep toddler nursing as much as we are!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I had to wait until my LO was almost 18 months old before he actually "asked" to nurse for the first time. He still isn't talking (18.5 months), so that may have been part of it. Still, for some reason he couldn't, or wouldn't, even do the sign for milk, lift up my shirt, point to the boob, or really ask for it in any way. EVER. He was down to nursing three times a day - morning, nap, and night, but never asked any times in between. I would just offer it at those times and he'd nurse. I was overjoyed when he suddenly started pointing to the boob at different times during the day and acting like he wanted it. I never thought we would actually increase our nursing at this age! I am SO glad I stuck it out this long, or I might have missed out on this joy!
    Last edited by @llli*lovebeingmommy; June 20th, 2009 at 06:41 AM.

My lo will be one on Friday. I get all the reasons why people stop, but for me I can't imagine it. I feel like when babies turn one - it's supposed to be some magic number and suddenly their toddlers or something and we're supposed to be feeding them junk food, getting them to walk, eating meals, no more bottles, etc. etc. etc. My one year old is totally developmentally on target - but she's NOT a toddler yet! She doesn't have all her teeth, she's still crawling, she still needs the nutrition and affection that nursing provides. She'll be big soon enough! I'm not making her grow up early and I can't imagine not nursing my one year old - and beyond one! (I don't care what society says! ) I am sorry for those that have had bad experiences that make it hard for them to nurse. That's why I LOVE this site because it is a way for more moms to find support. Good for you all for making it past one!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    My lo will be one on Friday.
    a little early!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thanks! I was going to post on Friday that we made it to 1 but I couldn't help jumping in on this discussion. I'm so blessed that I've been able to nurse this long......

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

I understand the feeling too! My DD is 18 months old, and I love toddler nursing! First, it is so nice that she can sign for milk when she wants it during the day. And the first time she was nursing and said "booby" was just the cutest! DD "nurses" her baby doll now, and last night DH was watching her while she was playing, and he said he thought she was pretending to nurse from a fairy doll she has (similar to a Barbie).

Plus, the power of the booby is so awesome that it cures all bumps and ouchies (like vaccinations) and quickly soothes DD's toddler temper tantrums.

It makes me sad that public opinion is so much more judgemental when it comes to toddler nursing and so many people feel "obligated" to tell you their 2 cents on why it's time to wean.
    Cheryl

Mommy to Tessa Noelle 12/14/07

I totally agree!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months