Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Swine flu and breastfeeding HELP!

Exclamation Swine flu and breastfeeding HELP!

Long story short: Cowoker had to pick up his three girls (twins 8, daughter 12 yrs) from sleepaway camp b/c suspected swine flu. They have been gone from home about 5 days now. This morning they all 3 tested positive for Type A virus and won't know if it's sf until next week.

This morning - HE CAME IN TO WORK. Egad!! To make matters worse, our boss let him stay at work all. day. long.

I work in a tiny office with a communal fridge where I keep my pump parts and milkies. I spent the entire day completely freaked out, and my boss (whom I just adore) blew me off like it was no big deal. I'm in Texas; we closed down entire school districts b/c of the sf. And now I'm home and nursing, but I'm scared I might infect him if I was exposed.

Anyone know about bf'ing if you're sick with the flu? I don't have symptoms, but would love some peace of mind. I'm afraid to kiss my own baby boy.
    ----------------
    First-time mother to baby Ian born January 17th, 2009; 9lbs 2oz; 21 inches; all natural birth experience
    My Blog: www.life-with-ian.blogspot.com

BF'ing for 14 months
    At Home:
    At Work:

Default Re: Swine flu and breastfeeding HELP!

breastfeeding it the BEST thing you can do if you have a flu. When you catch a flu your body begins to produce antibodies IMMEDIATELY. When you nurse, you pass those antibodies on to your LO, decreasing his/her chance of catching the virus
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    breastfeeding it the BEST thing you can do if you have a flu. When you catch a flu your body begins to produce antibodies IMMEDIATELY. When you nurse, you pass those antibodies on to your LO, decreasing his/her chance of catching the virus
    Great!! I've been too stressed to do any online research re. flu. Soon as I was able, I just logged on to the forums. I knew I'd find help! Thank you.
    ----------------
    First-time mother to baby Ian born January 17th, 2009; 9lbs 2oz; 21 inches; all natural birth experience
    My Blog: www.life-with-ian.blogspot.com

BF'ing for 14 months
    At Home:
    At Work:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tefitefi View Post
    Great!! I've been too stressed to do any online research re. flu. Soon as I was able, I just logged on to the forums. I knew I'd find help! Thank you.
    You can't pass the flu virus through your breastmilk My advice would be frequent hand washing and if you're really scared you can lay off the open mouth kisses for a while

In all seriousness though, the swine flu is transmitted the same way as any other strain of influenza. Hand washing is the number one way to protect yourself.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

My whole family caught the nastiest cold a few weeks ago....my dh and I had the worst of it while ds (my nursing champ), and my dds barely got it. Ds got well so much faster than the rest of us, and I am attributing that to his breastfeeding! I say if you do end up sick, just keep nursing and keep yourself hydrated....worked for me!
    I'm Jerrie Ann....married to Rod (my wonderful Air Force man), and mother to Nora (Dec 30, 1994), Natasha (Feb 11, 1999), and Jack (Jan 12, 2009)....I'm the owner of Jack's Magic Milk Bags!!!

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/breastfeeding.htm

Good page to read! Nothing scary, you should continue to breastfeed!