Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Menstruation effect milk supply?

Default Menstruation effect milk supply?

This week I should be starting my cycle (any day now)...I've had 2 so far (DS is 9 mo old)...could this be impacting my supply all the sudden?

For months I've been pumping at work 11+ ounces each day (5.5 oz at 9 AM and 5.5 oz at 3 PM). I just finished pumping and didn't even get 3 oz and this morning only got 4. I'm freaking out that my supply is going down because DS gets no formula, but I might have to start it. He has just started to eat solids, but only gets ~8 TBLS of food per day plus as many Cheerios as he wants.

I've tried increasing my fluid intake and getting more rest, nothing's working...

Any suggestions welcome!!

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Menstruation effect milk supply?

It definitely can. I noticed a really big drop before my first post-partum period, and then a smaller but still noticeable drop each month after that. I usually took fenugreek during that time to help boost my supply, and it worked fairly well. I also ate lots of oatmeal, which also helped.

Yes, I saw a huge decrease in what I would produce when I pumped...
    I just continued eating oatmeal and taking fenugreek/blessed thistle...
    If you are on these, you can up it 1 a day each - it can't hurt...
    Everything comes back to normal once your hormones regulate again...

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

I notice a huge dip almost every month. I just try to nurse/pump more and my supply increases in a few days. Maybe you could try adding an extra pumping the weeks you aren't on your period so you can build up a little bit of a stash for when your period comes, then you don't have to use formula. Hope that helps!

I noticed a huge huge dip before I got my first pp period. The next one I didn't notice it as much, though DD did nurse more often leading up to it.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010