Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ouch

Default Ouch

Sometimes when I am breastfeeding my 1 MO, he'll be nursing just fine and then suddenly get angry and will use his hands to push away from my chest, while he is still sucking and pulling his head back from my nipple - therefore stretching and pulling out my nipple. OUCH!

Anyone else experience this? Any tips to prevent kid from doing this? It hurts when he does that.

Default Re: Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kstar View Post
    Sometimes when I am breastfeeding my 1 MO, he'll be nursing just fine and then suddenly get angry and will use his hands to push away from my chest, while he is still sucking and pulling his head back from my nipple - therefore stretching and pulling out my nipple. OUCH!

Anyone else experience this? Any tips to prevent kid from doing this? It hurts when he does that.
    Does this usually happen during the beginning of your nursing session? If so, the possible reason for your son doing this could be because of OALD, or overactive letdown.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

my 7 wk old does the same thing. I have an OALD and usually when he pushes away he gets sprayed in the face. I can only imagine that DS feels like he is trying to drink out of a fire hose. I have found that our nursing experience is much more peaceful if we use the side-lying position. This way DS can just allow the extra milk to run out of the bottom of his mouth (you might want to lay on a towel). We've been struggling with OALD for 4 wks now, and I'm hoping that my supply stabilizes soon. We have both had enough of this.

Mom to Leo 5-1-09

For OALD you could also try nursing lying on your back, that way gravity will slow down the letdown.