Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Diflucan and Nystatin for thrush

Default Question about Diflucan and Nystatin for thrush

Owen is getting Diflucan for thrush now. He was on Nystatin. I called the Dr's office and asked if I'm supposed to give him both and the nurse said just give him the Diflucan, but it was one of those hesitant answers that made me wonder if she was really sure. He still has white stuff on the insides of his cheek. Is this how it worked for you - giving only one, not both medications?
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Default Re: Question about Diflucan and Nystatin for thrush

When DD had those two medications it was one, and then the other. I think Diflucan first for two weeks and then Nystatin for a lot longer, like 1 1/2 months.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kaitlyns.mom View Post
    When DD had those two medications it was one, and then the other. I think Diflucan first for two weeks and then Nystatin for a lot longer, like 1 1/2 months.
    Same here.

Have you tried using liquid GSE for Owen's mouth?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I haven't put the GSE liquid in his mouth. I figure it doesn't taste good - it doesn't smell good lol. And the poor kid gets a ton of other stuff shoved in his mouth every day, he like instinctually bats at our hands when we put them near his mouth. So I didn't really want to do one more thing there.

Is it normal to still see some thrush then, after only 2 doses of the Diflucan, but a week of Nystatin? There's not a lot, just a little bit. I'm SO surprised you both said like 1 1/2 months of Nystatin! When he got thrush in the NICU they said they stop giving it to him as soon as there's no thrush visible, which was less than a week. And that's what his Dr's office has said when he got it once he was home too. Maybe that's why we're still going through this? I need a thrush Doctor! I'm so confused!
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Well they say now that nystatin has lost a lot of it's effectiveness against thrush, although dr's still prescribe it like crazy. And Nystain is in a sugar suspension, which always has confused me because the last thing you want around yeast is sugar. When Nolan got ti the first time, we used the nystatin on him for a few days until I found out about the sugar thing, and then I just used GV and diflucan on me.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenniebean5 View Post
    I haven't put the GSE liquid in his mouth. I figure it doesn't taste good - it doesn't smell good lol. And the poor kid gets a ton of other stuff shoved in his mouth every day, he like instinctually bats at our hands when we put them near his mouth. So I didn't really want to do one more thing there.

Is it normal to still see some thrush then, after only 2 doses of the Diflucan, but a week of Nystatin? There's not a lot, just a little bit. I'm SO surprised you both said like 1 1/2 months of Nystatin! When he got thrush in the NICU they said they stop giving it to him as soon as there's no thrush visible, which was less than a week. And that's what his Dr's office has said when he got it once he was home too. Maybe that's why we're still going through this? I need a thrush Doctor! I'm so confused!
    I think Nystatin can take up to a few weeks to work.

We diluted the GSE liquid in water, and used it right before nursing. But I understand if you don't want to give your little guy anything else in the mouth.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

I did GSE in water (10 drops in an ounce of water) and DD made a face for like 2 seconds and that was it. Made me feel much better.

When I had Nystatin for my nipples the directions were to use it for 2 weeks I think - or 2 weeks after symptoms stopped... something like that. Nystatin actually works really well and fast on me.

We finished a week of GSE on Sunday and last night my nipples starting itching and were flakey again but I'm going to try putting a little olive oil on them and just hope they are dry from all the thrush treatment. Man thrush is hard.
    I'm Melissa, DD (01/12/2009) weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years

When my DD had thrush, we were told to use the Nystatin for a week after her symptoms disappeared. So even after the white stuff in her mouth went away, we still continued it for a week to make sure it was gone. HTH
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ap9981 View Post
    I did GSE in water (10 drops in an ounce of water) and DD made a face for like 2 seconds and that was it. Made me feel much better.

When I had Nystatin for my nipples the directions were to use it for 2 weeks I think - or 2 weeks after symptoms stopped... something like that. Nystatin actually works really well and fast on me.

We finished a week of GSE on Sunday and last night my nipples starting itching and were flakey again but I'm going to try putting a little olive oil on them and just hope they are dry from all the thrush treatment. Man thrush is hard.
    I SWEAR by taking GSE capsules. Did you try these?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

Thanks ladies. I am taking GSE capsules - 250mg 3 times a day. The weird thing is, my left breast is actually feeling worse today - the burning is worse. I'm going to keep at it though.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months