Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Avent made me ANGRY

Default Avent made me ANGRY

OK -- my Medela gave out. It wasn't getting any suction. So I figured I'd try the Avent duo because I like the idea of the soft inserts.
    The edge of the soft inserts caused severe nipple soreness. Then without the inserts, I was still getting sore. I finally figured out that the shields were too small. Now I'm bleeding and I can't even nurse or pump because it is so VERY sore.
    According to AVENT customer service, they don't even make a larger breastshield. I'm out $350 and they basically told me tough noogies. The local BRU was very accomodating and I may be able to exchange it for a Medela and buy the larger shields.
    My advice to anyone looking at pumps -- unless you are SURE you won't need a larger shield, get a Medela. I am of average weight; I am not large breasted; and I don't have large nipples. I was also able to use a regular shield when I exclusively pumped with my son 2 years ago. Your body changes.

Default Re: Avent made me ANGRY

I am so sorry that you're having trouble! That's exactly why I didn't go with Avent. I originally had the Ameda and even though they make bigger sheilds, they don't make them big enough for me! So, I understand how you feel...I was out $200 and then had to buy another pump!

A note to anyone who reads this - Weight, breast size and nipple size are not deciding factors in breast sheild size. It is common for women to size up one or 2 sizes after birth. The 'standard' size is all too often way to small for women! I hate to see people go through this, so taht's why I mention this.

I hope your BRU helps you out. Please let us know how it goes!

Default Re: Avent made me ANGRY

The BRU was very helpful. The manager let me exchange it for a Medela and they had the large breastshields in stock. That will get me through today and I've ordered the X-large shields from medela.com for overnight delivery tomorrow.