Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 month old rejecting breast..:( screaming, crying etc...

Unhappy 6 month old rejecting breast..:( screaming, crying etc...

My DD now almost 6 months has started rejecting my breast since around 4 or 5 months..now she totally will not take it at all! I had to give formula since this started happening now she will not breast feed at all!

I have seen a lactation consultant..yes I've seen almost everyone I could..but still no avail! I did get a Medela Symphony to up my supply to see if that works and to keep it from drying out..but she only takes bottle...my letdown has slowed dramatically as well and Im wondering if this is the problem...she takes my breast milk in a bottle though..but I would really like to breastfeed..I am trying skin-to-skin and hot compresses..but she just turns her head away and starts screaming...

Has anyone else had this problem? Please help! I am so heartbroken..and I'll cry if I have to switch to formula!

Default Re: 6 month old rejecting breast..:( screaming, crying etc...

So sorry you're having trouble... have you called a LLL leader?

Have you heard of a nursing strike?

What kind of things have you tried?

Have you had any issues with thrush?

Can you take a look at this link and see if there's anything new and hopefully helpful for you?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Default Re: 6 month old rejecting breast..:( screaming, crying etc...

This must be so hard for you. Good for you for not giving up! Here are a few tips & links that might help.

* Try nursing when your baby is asleep or very sleepy, such as during the night or, while napping.
    * Vary nursing positions. Some babies will refuse to nurse in one position but will take the breast in another.
    * Nurse when in motion.
    * Nurse in a quiet, darkened room or a place that is free from distractions.
    * Give your baby extra attention and skin-to-skin contact, which can be comforting for both of you.
    * When offering the breast, undress to the waist and clothe your baby in just a diaper when ever possible. Use a shawl or blanket around you if the room is chilly.
    * Use a baby sling or a carrier to keep the baby close between attempts to nurse.
    * Take warm baths together to soothe.
    * Sleep together in order to provide closeness and more opportunities to nurse.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/strike.html
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug01p136.html
    Renee
    LLL Leader