Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cuddling without nursing...

Default Cuddling without nursing...

I'm working on changing our bedtime routine to get Emma to drop that session and last night it worked, she never asked when I put her to bed. BUT, I didn't lay down and cuddle with her before bed, which is usually when she'll ask to nurse. She didn't ask to cuddle either, which was odd too. So I know that because I didn't lay down with her to cuddle and talk about the day, she didn't ask to nurse. Who knows if this will go the same way tonight, but I'm kind of sad that I can't cuddle her without her asking to nurse. She's like this during the daytime too - if I pick her up and hold her, rock her, whatever, she says "I want to nurse!" I tell her we can just cuddle and she can nurse later, but it's like when she is held or when she sees my breasts, she instinctually says "I want to nurse!" How can I keep cuddling her without nursing her? I can't seem to get her to separate the two and I really don't want to stop snuggling with her so that she doesn't ask to nurse. If anything, I want to give her more snuggles as we wean out nursing sessions.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Default Re: Cuddling without nursing...

We went through a similar phase, where I felt like I couldn't ever cuddle him without his mind going to nursing. He got over it though - you might just have to be patient. Now he loves to sit next to me and snuggle while we read books, something he never used to want to do. Still, if I let him climb into bed with me in the morning, he'll ask, so we're avoiding that for a while.

Me too, it was sad for me not being able to cuddle with her. She stopped asking to nurse all the time when I told her she could only nurse 3 times a day. Now we cuddle more, she is very active so is not that she wants to cuddle aaall the time though, I really would like to cuddle more

I am still able to craddle hold DD in my lap and we rock and sing Twinkle Twinkle as part of our bedtime routine. She did ask for milk a few times, but was fine when I said that milk went bye-bye and that we'd sing instead. Now when we sit in the chair I ask her what we do next and she says, "Sing Twinkle Twinkle." A few times when we've been playing or she's been having a tantrum and she ends up lying across my criss crossed lap she'll say, "I want milk." I just remind her it went bye-bye and she moves on to something else.

So, maybe the two of you could find a new thing to do when you cuddle so that she associates cuddling with that new thing instead of nursing? We sing Twinkle twice then in the bed she goes.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Thanks ladies. I have tried to create a new association with cuddling, like I will tell her to pick a story and we can cuddle while we read it, which she does, but then asks for milk. She nursed tonight, despite having a weird bedtime and routine because she napped until 4:30pm today. I guess I need to be more patient and understanding with her while our relationship changes.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months